Beside the $25 smartphone, Mozilla has also announced a number of smartphones and tablets running Firefox OS during an event at Mobile World Congress 2014. The first devices such as ZTE Open featured a single core processor, the new models come with more powerful dual and quad core processors, mostly from Qualcomm, but also WonderMedia and AllWinner, together with better screen and features. Let’s have a look.
ZTE Open C smartphone features a 4″ display (800 x 480 resolution), powered by Qualcomm Snadragon 200 SoC @ 1.2 GHz, 512MB of RAM, a 2MP camera, as well as a 1,200mAh battery. Engadget has an hands-on video.
ZTE Open II sports a 3.5″ (HVGA -> 480×320) display, with a dual core Snapdragon processor @ 1.2 GHz, 256 MB, 2GB flash, a 2MP camera, and a 1150 mh, according to CNet. It also supports 3G networks.
Both devices run Firefox OS 1.3.
- OneTouch Fire S – 4.5″ IPS display, 960 x 540 resolution, with Quacomm Snapdragon quad core processor @ 1.2 GHz, with 4G LTE support, an 8MP rear camera, 2MP front-facing camera, NFC, and GPS.
- OneTouch Fire E – 4.5″ display (not IPS), dual core CPU, 512 MB RAM, 4GB Flash, and 5MP and 0.3MP cameras.
- OneTouch Fire C – 3.5″ display (HVGA), dual core @ 1.2 GHz, and VGA camera.
OneTouch Fire 7 will come with a 7″ diaplay (qHD -> 960x 540), a 1.2 GHz dual-core Qualcomm processor, 4GB NAND flash (expandable via micro SD card slot) and a whopping 2GB RAM (Or is it 2Gbit?), as well as front and rear VGA cameras. It weights 285g and has a thickness of 9.9mm.
CNET reports Fire C and Fire E smartphones will be available in Q2, for respectively 59 and 139 Euros, whereas Fire S and Fire 7 will retail for 169 and 79 Euros in Q3 2014. All new Alcatel devices run Firefox 1.3.
Huawei Ascend Y300 will come with a 4″ WVGA display, and be powered by a dual core Snapdragon 8225 processor @ 1 GHz with 512MB RAM. It also packs a 1,950mAh battery, and 5MP and VGA cameras. Contrary to the aforementioned devices running Firefox OS 1.3, Huawei phone runs version 1.1 of the mobile operating system. You can find more details on Huawei Ascend Y300 F1 post.
LG will also run Mozilla Firefox OS 1.1, and features a 4″ display (480x 320), Qualcomm snapdragon processor @ 1GHz processor, and 5 MP camera. It also supports 3G, GPS and FM radio. Fireweb will be available in Brazil, Mexico, Peru and Uruguay.
- Firefox OS Flame – Smartphone with a 4.5″ display (854 x 480 pixel), a Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 (MSM8210) dual-core processor @ 1.2 GHz , 8 GB NAND flash, and between 256MB and 1GB RAM (adjustable by developer). The phone also includes 5MP rear and 2MP front-facing cameras, WiFi, Bluetooth, 3G UMTS, and NFC wireless, as well as a 1800mAh battery.
- VIA Vixen – Tablet with 7″ LCD screen (1024×600), powered by VIA WonderMedia WM8880 dual core Cortex A9 processor @ 1.2 GHz with Mali-400MP2 GPU, 8GB storage, 1GB RAM, 0.3 MP and 2.0 MP cameras, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi, and a 4,000 mAh battery.
Developers, testers, and people ready to localize and translate Firefox OS UI, can apply for a free Infocus or Vixen tablet via Mozilla’s Expanded Tablet Contribution Program.