Firefox OS devices are slowly coming to market, but it could be that most of them are existing Android phones or tablets repurposed to run Firefox OS with little, if any, hardware changes. We’ve already seen Mozilla selected InFocus New Tab F1, an Android Tablet, for its development program, but actual products such as Huawei Ascend Y300 smartphone, will soon be sold with Firefox OS using the model name “Ascend Y300 F1” or “Ascend Y300 II”.
Huawei Ascend Y300 F1 specifications:
- SoC – Qualcomm MSM8225 dual core Cortex A5 @ 1 GHz with Adreno 203 GPU
- System Memory – 512MB RAM
- Storage – 4GB NAND Flash, microSD card slot
- Display – 4″ touchscreen (WVGA – 800 x 480)
- Connectivity – 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1, GPS with A-GPS
- Cellular networks – GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS 850/1900/2100.
- Camera – 5MP rear camera, 0.3MP front-facing camera
- Battery – 1730mAh
- Dimensions – 124.5 x 63.75 x 11.05 mm
These are the specifications from a post by tech2.hu guys who saw the device at CES 2014, but a quick look on pdadb.net shows the original Ascend Y300 has just about the same specifications. If both versions of the phone are indeed the same that means you’ll be able to install either Android or Firefox OS on the device, and it could be interesting to compare the performance of Android 4.1 using Java/Dalvik against Firefox OS using HTML5 in the same low-end device.
No price has been announced with Ascend Y300 F1 yet, but I don’t see why it would be any different from the Android version which costs as low as $100 including shipping on Aliexpress, and $120 and up on Amazon US.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|