Mediatek already has over a dozen of dual, quad and octa processors for smartphone and tablets based on ARM Cortex A7, A9 and A15 cores, and they’ve already announced a 64-Bit ARM SoC (MT6732) as well as MT6595 with four Cortex A17 cores. A leaked product roadmap show the timeline for Mediatek smartphone SoCs, as well as showing some new application processors such as MT6591 Hexa-core SoC, MT6571 dual core Cortex A7 and MT6752 octa core Cortex A53 with LTE.
So let’s recapitulate the new and upcoming SoCs from Mediatek:
- MT6572/M – Dual core Cortex A7 @ 1.3 GHz / 1.0 GHz with qHD/HVGA screen support. Available since Q3 2013, and found in phones such as Cubot GT72.
- MT6582/M – Quad core Cortex A7 @ 1.3 GHz with HA720/qHD screen support. Available since Q4 2013, found in phones such as W450.
- MT6588 – Quad core Cortex A7 @ 1.7 GHz supporting FHD screens. Available since Q1 2014, only found is a handful of phones.
- MT6591 – Hexa core Cortex A7? @ 1.5 GHz supporting FHD screens. Available in Q1 2014. Unannounced, and I could not find phones yet.
- MT6592/M – Octa core Cortex A7 @ 1.7-2.0GHz/1.4GHz supporting FHD screens. Available since Q1 2014. and found in phones such as HTM H100.
- MT6571 – Dual core Cortex A7 @ 1.3 GHz with support for qHD screens, and TD/EDGE. Available in Q2 2014.
- MT6595 – Octa core big.LITTLE processor with 4x Cortex A17 @ 2.2-2.5 GHz and 4x Cortex A7, WQXGA (2560 x 1600) screens, and LTE. Available in Q3 2014.
- MT6732 – Quad core ARM Cortex A53 @ 1.5 GHz with 720p screen support and LTE. Available in Q3 2014.
- MT6752 – Octa core ARM Cortex A53 @ 1.7 GHz, supporting 1080p displays and LTE. Available in Q4 2014, Q1 2015
I can’t really understand Mediatek’s naming convention, and why they need so many different SoCs, but apparently it’s working for them.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|