ACKme Networks, a start-up specializing in embedded wireless solution, launched Mackerel evaluation board based on their AMW004 Wi-Fi networking module. The module is intend to interface to objects in standalone mode (SOLO), or controlled by a micro-controller (SLAVE), and features WiConnect software to interface with goHACK.me cloud services powered by sensors.com “OEM cloud solution”.
Mackerel (AMW004-E03) board specifications:
- AWM004 (Wallaby) Wi-Fi module:
- MCU – ARM Cortex M4 @ 120MHz with integrated 1MB flash and 128kB RAM, onboard 8Mbit (1MByte) SPI-serial flash
- Networking Standards – IEEE 802.11 b/g/n/d/e/h/i/j
- 802.11 data rates – 802.11b: 1, 2, 5.5, 11 Mbps; 802.11g: 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54 Mbps; 802.11n: MCS0 – MCS7
- Wi-Fi Security – Open, WEP-40, WEP-104, WPA, WPA2-PSK, WPA/WPA2-mixed
- Network Protocols – ARP, ICMP, DHCP client/server, DNS, NTP, SMTP, UDP, TCP, HTTP client/webserver, Sensors.com
- Network Security – SSL3.0/TLS1.1, HTTPS
- I/Os – UART (up to 4Mbit/s), SPI (up to 10Mbit/s), I2C, USB, JTAG/SWD, I2S, GPIO, ADC, DAC, and PWM
- Power consumption – Standby: 1.85uA; Sleep: 28uA; Wi-Fi Powersave: 0.77mA; Active Rx: 6.9mA (1Mbit/s UDP); Active Tx: 12.5mA (1Mbit/s UDP);
- Supply voltage – 3.3V
- Dimensions – 17.8 x 31.8 x 3.1 mm
- USB UART – Up to 3 Mbit/s with hardware flow control (optional)
- Breakout header – 2 x 2×10-pin header (connects to every pin on the AMW004 module)
- Sensor – Thermistor
- Misc – 2 x push buttons, 2 x LEDs
- Power supply – +5V from USB (500mA max.)
- Temperature Range – 0 – 70°C
The board is pre-loaded ACKme WiConnect serial Wi-Fi application, so you can just connect it to your PC via USB, and access the serial via a terminal program (minicom, PuTTy, hyperterminal, etc…).
ghm_capabilities download -s
ghm_signup YourEmail@address.com YourSecretPassword
You can then monitor the board temperature on your smartphone and computer by logging in gohack.me with your chosen email/password. You’ll also be able to control the LEDs on the boards via the webpage. The whole setup is quite similar to the one I tried with Texas Instruments Connected Launchpad board and Exosite cloud services, except the board uses Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi.
GoHACKme website will let you monitor (Temperature, Humidity / Moisture, Light / Motion, door & window open/close…). and control (Servo motors, Fountains, Fans, Lights,Heaters…) your devices, as well as receive notifications by email, SMS, etc… There are also many other Wiconnect commands that can be used in the serial console to control GPIOs, ADC, Wi-Fi connection, etc…
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|