Allwinner and Cubietech announced they were working on Cubieboard8 in May, before we got to see some pictures of the first engineering samples. Cubieboard8 has now been renamed to Cubieboard4, also known as CC-A80 (CubieTech single board Computer A80), and the company has listed the board on Taobao for 620 RMB (~$102), with shipping scheduled for October 30.
Cubietech CC-A80 board specifications, which have changed since the first pictures were released in July:
- SoC – AllWinner A80 octa core 4x Cortex A15 @ 2.0GHz, 4x Cortex A7 @ 1.3GHz, and Imagination PowerVR G6200 GPU
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB eMMC (25MB/s read and write speed), micro SD Card slot
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4, and VGA
- Audio I/O – HDMI, 2x 3.5mm audio jacks for audio output and microphone
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n up to 300 Mbps + Bluetooth 4.0 (AP6330 module)
- USB – 4x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x Micro-B USB 3.0 port
- Debugging – UART and JTAG (4 pins on top left of battery slot)
- Expansion Header – 20-pin header with 2x UART, 3x I2C, GND, and VCC (5V)
- Misc – IR receiver, RTC + battery slot, 2x user LEDs, 1x power LED, 3 push buttons for power, reset, and reboot (FEL).
- Power – 5V/2.5A, USB 3.0, or 3.7V LiPo battery
- Dimensions – 146x142mm
The board is clearly called CC-A80 V1.1 on the PCB, but it will also be referred to as Cubieboard 4. Since the board still have about 10 days before shipping, CC-A80 Wiki is far from being complete (understatement of the month), but you can find some resources on their FTP server including schematics (PDF), datasheets for A80T, AC100, AXP809 PMIC…, and Lubuntu rootfs. Most directory are currently empty, and there are more details on Baidu including Lubuntu (eMMC and SD card) and Android 4.4 (eMMC) firmware images, as well as instructions to use CC-A80 Linux SDK. There are also some images on http://dl.cubieboard.org/software/a80/, but these may not be up-to-date, or even for Cubieboard 4.
Beside Taobao, I also found it for pre-order on a UK site for 110.79 GBP excluding VAT (about $180), with delivery expected for November 3, 2014. The price delta versus Taobao is a bit excessive, so it may pay to wait a couple of weeks to get a better deal.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|