MeegoPad T01, also known as APM-D01, is a low cost Android 4.4 and/or Windows 8.1 HDMI TV dongle powered by Intel Bay-Trail-T Z3735F or G with 1 to 2GB RAM, and 16 to 32GB eMMC. It has become quite popular (for a Chinese product from an unknown board), and one seller managed to sell nearly 400 pieces of the 2GB RAM/16GB eMMC version on Aliexpress for about $130 shipped. But this morning, I discovered this Windows 8.1 HDMI TV stick was listed on DealExtreme for just
$93.50 $99.99 including shipping, and if you want the 32GB eMMC version, it would cost you $104.39 $109.99 also including shipping.
MeegoPad T01 specifications of the devices sold on DealExtreme:
- SoC – Intel Atom Z3735F “Bay Trail” quad core processor @ 1.33 GHz (Bust freq: 1.83 GHz) with Intel HD graphics Gen 7 (2W TDP)
- System Memory – 2 GB DDR3L-1333 (64-bit up to 10.6 GB/s)
- Storage – 16 or 32 GB eMMC + micro SD slot up to 64GB
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 1.4
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 (Realtek RTL8723BS)
- USB – 2x micro USB ports, 1x USB 2.0 port
- Misc – Power button
- Power Supply – 5V/2A via micro USB port.
- Dimensions – 11 x 3.9 x 1 cm
- Weight – 50 grams
The stick is sold with a 100~220V power adapter and its micro USB to USB cable (60 cm). However, looking at DX page, it’s not clear at all if it comes pre-loaded with Android 4.4, or Windows 8.1, and whether a license is included (probably not at that price?). DX points to meegopad.cn, but everything is in Chinese, and I could not find T01 model. My guess is none of the nearly 400 persons who order APM-D01 / Meego T01 have received their device yet, as there’s no independent review. However, the manufacturer as posted a three part overview of the dongle on Youku, and Deadhp11 re-uploaded them on YouTube. I’ve included the Android/Windows 8.1 dual boot video demo below, where everything is controlled with a smartphone app.
So that would mean both Android 4.4 and Windows 8.1 are pre-loaded in the device, but I wonder how this could be possible with the 16GB internal storage version. Finally, as said previously with other Intel Bay Trail devices, Ubuntu / Linux distributions may not be fully supported.