Last year, Solidrun launched their Cubox-i mini PCs powered by Freescale i.MX6 single, dual or quad core processor, and running Debian, OpenSUSE, Android 4.4, or various XBMC based Linux distributions. The company has now announced a new product called CuboxTV, that on surface looks similar to their Cubox-i4Pro mini PC with a quad core processor, but instead of running Linux desktop distributions, or Android, it’s pre-loaded with OpenELEC Linux distribution running Kodi 14.
- SoC – Freescale i.MX6 Quad with four Cortex A9 core up to 1GHz, and Vivante GC2000 3D GPU
- System Memory – 1GB SDRAM @ 1066 MHz
- Storage – 8GB internal storage + micro SD interface
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4b, 3D support
- Video Decoders – MPEG-4 ASP, XVID, H.264 HP, H.263, MPEG-2 MP, MJPEG BP, VP8, Sorenson-H263.
- Video Encoders – MPEG-4 SP, H.264 BP, H.263, MJPEG BP
- Image Codecs – JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG.
- Audio Decoders – AAC, AACPlus, MP3, Vorbis, FLAC, audio encoder SBC, MP3, speech codecs G.723.1, G.726, G.711, G.729AB, NB/WB AMR.
- Audio Encoders – SBC, MP3.
- Speech Codecs – G.723.1, G.726, G.711, G.729AB,NB/WB AMR.
- Audio Output – HDMI, optical S/PDIF
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet (Limited to 470 Mbps)
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host port
- Misc – IR receiver
- Power – 5V/3A
- Dimensions – 5.08 x 5.08 x 5.08 cm
The picture above can be found on CuboxTV product page, but it’s probably a picture of Cubox-i4Pro, as CuboxTV lacks the eSATA port, and the micro USB “service” port (for serial console) according to specifications listed by SolidRun. Other differences include lack of Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connectivity, and 1GB RAM instead of 2GB RAM.
So CuboxTV has been optimized to provide a cost effective solution dedicated to media playback, and while Cubox-i4Pro sells for $139.99, CuboxTV goes for $99.99 during the pre-sale period (first two weeks?), and $124.99 thereafter.
Via Liliputing and Harley.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|