Canonical announced its plans for Ubuntu for Phone over 2 years ago, and all that work may finally pay off, as BQ Readers will soon launch Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Edition, the first Ubuntu smartphone that’s based on the company’s Aquaris E4.5 smartphone running Android 4.4.
BQ Aquaris E4.5 (Ubuntu Edition) specifications:
- SoC – Mediatek MT6582 quad core Cortex A7 @ 1.3 GHz with Mali-400MP2 GPU up to 500 MHz
- System memory – 1 GB
- Storage – 8 GB eMMC, microSD card (up to 32 GB)
- Display – 4.5″ IPS multi-touch screen (5-point); qHD (540 x 960) resolution
- Connectivity – Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, FM Radio, GPS and A-GPS
- Cellular Connectivity – 2G GSM (850/900/1800/1900), 3G HSPA+ (900/2100). Dual micro SIM.
- Audio – 3.5 mm headphone jack, microphone, Ambient noise cancellation, Dolby sound technology
- Camera – 5MP front-facing camera, 8MP rear camera with autofocus and flash
- USB – micro USB OTG port
- Sensors – Brightness sensor, proximity sensor, accelerometer, eCompass, gyroscope
- Misc – Notification LED
- Battery – 2150 mAh LiPo battery
- Dimensions – 137 x 67 x 9 mm
- Weight – 123 grans
The Android version of the phone sells with a micro USB to USB cable, a power adapter and some documentation, and the company also provides documentation, firmware, and drivers & utilities on Aquaris E4.5 product page. Some source code is also available on github.
With that type of hardware, you can’t expect to get the phone / desktop convergence promised by Canonical, when they announced Ubuntu on phones and tablets. so I assume this will come a little later, maybe next year, with beefier hardware, and more work on the software front.
BQ and Canonical will also go with a limited launch at first, with flash sales in several countries in Europe, somewhat following the steps of OnePlus One without the invite system. Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Edition will cost 169.90 Euros, the same price as the Android version, and the exact time of the launch will be announced on Ubuntu and bqreaders Twitter accounts, as well as Ubuntu G+ and Ubuntu Facebook within the next week.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|