Samsung Electronics announced Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge smartphones at Mobile World Congress 2015 during their “Unpacked” event. Both features Exynos 7420 octa-core SoC with 64-bit ARM cores, and 5.1″ display, bit the Galaxy S6 Edge display is curved on both sides.
Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge specifications:
- SoC – Samsung Exynos 7 Octa (Exynos 7420) octa core processor with four Cortex A57 core @ 2.1GHz + four Cortex A53 cores @ 1.5Ghz, and Mali-T760 MP8 GPU, manufactured using 14nm process.
- System Memory – 3GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 32, 64 or 128GB UFS 2.0 flash.
- Galaxy S6 – 5.1’’ Quad HD(2560×1440) 577ppi, Super AMOLED. Gorilla Glass 4.
- Galaxy S6 Edge – 5.1’’ Quad HD(2560×1440) 577ppi, Super AMOLED, Dual edge. Gorilla Glass 4.
- 16MP OIS(rear), 5MP (front).
- Features: Quick Launch (0.7s by pressing the home button twice), Tracking AF, Auto Real-time HDR(Front & Rear) , F1.9, Low Light Video(Front & Rear), High Clear Zoom, IR Detect White Balance, Virtual Shot, Slow Motion, Fast Motion, Pro Mode, Selective Focus
- Video – MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM, VP9 (up to 1440p)
- Codec – MP3, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC, OPUS
- Format – MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA
- Network – LTE Cat.6 (300/50Mbps)
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), HT80 MIMO(2×2) 620Mbps, Dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, Mobile hotspot
- Bluetooth v4.1, A2DP, LE, apt-X, ANT+
- USB – 1x micro USB 2.0 OTG
- Sensor – Accelerometer, Light, Gyroscope, Proximity, Compass, Barometer, Fingerprint, Hall, HRM
- Misc – IR Remote
- Battery – S6: 2,550mAh; S6 Edge: 2,600mAh. Faster wired charging: 1.5 times faster than the Galaxy S5, providing about 4 hours of usage after only 10 minutes of charging.
- Wireless Charging – WPC 1.1 (4.6W Output – Qi) & PMA 1.0 (4.2W) compatible
- Dimensions & Weight
- Galaxy S6 – 143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8mm | 138 grams
- Galaxy S6 Edge – 142.1 x 70.1 x 7.0mm | 132g
The phones run Android 5.0 Lollipop, and include usual Samsung features like Ultra Power Saving Mode, Download Booster, S Health 4.0,S Finder, S Voice, as well as Microsoft Apps (OneDrive 115GB for 2 years, OneNote), and support for the new Samsung Pay. Google Mobiles Services are also enabled, and the PlayStore, Chrome, YouTube, Google+ are all pre-installed.
Key innovation for the phones are support for two wireless charging standards (Qi and PMA), the first 14-nm 64-bit ARM processor, Samsung Pay, UFS 2.0 storage providing up to 3 times better performance from a user’s perspective than previous generation eMMC flash. Exynos 7420 is also one of the few processor with a video processing unit supporting VP9 codec (up to 1440p). Galaxy S6 (SM-G925W8) has already been benchmarked in Antutu 5, and it achieved 60978 points.
Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge smartphones will be available globally starting from April 10, 2015 with 32/64/128GB storage options. Several tech blogs already checkout of the devices such as The Verge, Arstechnica, Gizmodo among others.