As the Freescale Technology Forum 2015 is taking place in Austin, Texas, the company will announce a few new products over the 4-day conference. After the official launch of Freescale i.MX 7 series processors, Freescale unveiled a new product based on their existing i.MX6 platform with “i.MX 6Dual SCM” (Single Chip Module) that integrate a dual core i.MX 6Dual processor with 1 or 2 GB LPDDR2 (PoP), a 16MB NOR flash and a PMIC in a tiny, coin-sized module.
- Freescale i.MX 6Dual application processor with two ARM Cortex A9 core @ 800 MHz and Vivante GPUs (2D/3D)
- System Memory – 1 or 2 GB LPDDR2 (PoP configuration)
- Storage – 16 MB SPI NOR (Micron N25Q128A13)
- Power Supply – Freescale PMIC PF0100
- Dimensions – 17mm x 14mm x 1.7mm
There are also 109 discrete components on the module. BSPs for Linux and Android will be provided.
To help with early development, Freescale is also planning to soon launch an SCM-i.MX6D Evaluation Board with the following specs:
- Module: SCM-i.MX6D with 1GB RAM
- Storage – eMMC + 2x SD car slots, usable for boot, storage, and WiFi cards
- Connectivity – 1x GbE port, WiFi (via SD slot)
- USB – 1x Type A USB port, 1x Micro-AB USB port
- Audio – Stereo audio codec; microphone input
- Expansion – 1x Mini-PCIe socket
- Misc – 1x CAN connector
Optional modules adding HDMI output, LVDS (10.1″ display), WiFi, and others will also become available with the evaluation kit.
Freescale’s SCM modules are expected to be used in applications ranging from 3D gaming goggles, to “next-generation” IoT drones as well as other IoT products, a medical equipment, and autonomous sensing applications.
The i.MX 6Dual SCM should become available in August 2015 either directly from Freescale, or through Arrow Electronics, and more SCM products are planned for the next two years. Check out SCM-i.MX6D product page for details.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|