Cloud Media has just introduced yet another media player with Open Hour Gecko, an Android TV box powered by Hisilicon Hi3798M quad core Cortex A7 processor supporting H.265 and video output up to 4K @ 30Hz.
Open Hour Gecko specifications:
- SoC – HiSilicon Hi3798M quad core ARM Cortex A7 processor @ 1.5GHz with a quad core ARM Mali-450MP GPU.
- System Memory – 1 GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB NAND Flash + micro SD slot
- Video Out – HDMI up to 4K @ 30Hz, and 3.5 mm jack AV jack
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV, and optical S/PDIF
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, built-in 802.11 b/g/n WiFi with external antenna
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 2.0 host port
- Misc – Power switch (On/Off)
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – N/A
The device ships with a power adapter, HDMI and AV cables, a remote control with batteries, a Quick Start Guide, and a warranty card.
Cloud Media box runs Android – but the company did not disclose the version – and includes an “optimized” version of Kodi 15 with HD audio pass-through, frame rate sync, 3D BDISO, and 4K H.264/H.265 video playback
Devices based on Hisilicon processors usually rank at the top of Antutu Video Tester, people seem to appreciate the video quality of the platform, and when I tested BFS 4KH TV box, also based on Hi3798M, I found XBMC 13 (at the time) to be well supported with 4K video output and H.265 support, making the box a good deal for around $50. The main warning I can give about devices based on Hisilicon is that some companies have separate products for Chinese and overseas markets (e.g. Himedia), but they keep the same model name, so you may end up with a product with a Chinese interface and zero support. This won’t be a problem with Cloud Media box though. If you are interested in the Linux source code for Hi3798M, some Linux 3.10 code can be found on github.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|