Smartphone based on MediaTek Helio X20 (MT6797) processor with 10 cores including two Cortex A72 cores should start shipping next month, but MediaTek will soon be joined by another Asian company with a mobile SoC with Cortex A72 cores with Huawei that has recently demonstrated their Kirin 950 Octa-core processor with four Cortex A72 coers and four Cortex A53 cores, achieving over 82,000 points in Antutu 5.6 (why an older version?) on a reference board.
For reference the top 10 Antutu scores so far in 2015, only got as high as ~77,000 points fro Meizu Pro 5. Since the benchmark was run on a reference, it’s possible the score will drop once it’s in a tighter package.
Some key features of Kirin 950 processors:
- CPU – 4x Cortex A72 cores @ 2.3 GHz, 4x Cortex A53 cores @ 1.8 GHz
- GPU – ARM Mali-T880MP4 GPU @ 900 MHz
- Co-processor – i5 sensing co-processor / sensor hub (As low as 6.5 mA)
- Dual 14-bit Dual ISP 960/s with standalone DSP
- 5 Mode LTE Cat6 Modem
- Memory – LPDDR3/4
- Peripherals – USB, HSIC, SDMMC, DMAC…
- 4K video support
- Process – TSMC 16nm FinFET+
The company also mentioned that they decreased power consumption by up to 60 percent (compared to their processor using TSMC 28nm Process) thanks the 16nm FinFet+ manufacturing, its new i5 co-processor that “consumes” 6.5 mA instead of 90 mA on the previous i3 co-processor, lower power consumption GPS (Fused Location Provider) and more.