CZ.NIC is a non-profit organization running the .cz domain of the Czech Republic, and as part of their activities they are also making open source hardware routers such as Turris 1.1 based on Freescale QorIQ P2020 communication processor. I’ve previously written about Turris Omnia router based on Marvell ARMADA 385 dual core processor, and the organization has now launched an Indiegogo campaign where you can get the bare board for $99, and a complete router with WiFi modules, power supply, cables, and enclosure for $189, shipping not included.
- Processor – Marvell ARMADA 385 (88F6820) dual core ARMv7 processor @ 1.6 GHz with 1MB L2 cache
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – 4GB flash, mSATA slot
- 5x Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports
- 1x Gigabit Ethernet WAN port
- 1x SFP cage
- 3×3 MIMO 802.11ac, 2×2 MIMO 802.11 b/g/n (Included in router perk, not with bare board)
- SIM card slot
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 ports
- 2x mini PCI Express slots, 1x mSATA / mini PCI Express slot
- Headers for GPIO, I2C, SPI, etc..
- Misc – RTC with battery slot, 12 dimmable RGB LEDs, crypto chip for random number generation
- Power – Not sure
- Dimensions – 208 x 135 mm
The router will run a Turris OS based on OpenWRT with features like honey pots, virtual server, NAS, printserver and so on. You can find all open source software projects on CZ.NIC github account, and while the hardware design files have not been released, or I missed it, I’m confident they’ll eventually release them as they are done for they previous Turris 1.0 and 1.1 router projects.
You may want to watch the funny and informative promotion video for the router.
The project has already raised over $96,000 US so far out of their $100,000, and with 60 days to go, it’s pretty certain the router project will be successfully funded. You may have find more details on Turris Omnia product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|