We already knew that GPD HK was working on a Windows 10 handheld gaming console powered by an Intel Atom x5-Z8500 Cherry Trail processor, and the company has now decided to launch what they now call “GPD Win” on Indiegogo for $299, and advertise it as a “5.5” Game Handheld Laptop”.GPD Win specifications:
- SoC – Intel Atom x5-Z8500 quad-core Cherry Trail processor @ 1.44/2.24 GHz (Burst) with Intel HD Gen8 graphics @ up to 600MHz
- System Memory – 4GB LPDDR3-1600
- Storage – 64GB eMMC 4.51 flash + micro SD slot up to 128GB
- Display – 5.5″ capacitive touch IPS screen; 1280×720 resolution; Corning Gorilla Glass 3; full lamination technology
- Video Output- mini HDMI
- Audio – mini HDMI, 3.5mm headset jack, microphone and speaker; Realtek ALC5645 audio codec
- Connectivity – WiFi 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x micro USB port
- HID – QWERTY keyboard with DPAD, two ALPS Joysticks (including one acting a mouse when needed), ABXY controls, volume and gaming buttons
- Sensors – Gravity and hall effect sensors
- Misc – Power LED
- Battery – 6000 mAh non-removable Li-Po battery, good for 6 to 8 hours playing online games, or watching videos.
- Dimensions – 15.5 x 9.7 x 2.2 cm (when closed)
- Weight – 300 grams
The game console “laptop” will run Windows 10 Home. The company claims to support PC games, flash games, Xbox games, Stream games, Emulator games (PS1, PSP, Arcade…) and more, but they don’t say if all of that is pre-installed, and it’s something you’d have to do yourself. There’s no video demo showing the capabilities of the device, but GPD is quite a well-known company for portable gaming console, so I assume the risks are limited.
You can pledge $299 on Indiegogo to hopefully receive GPD Win in October 2016. Worldwide shipping is included in the price. We are being told that retail price would be $499 after the crowdfunding campaign…
Thanks to Deen0X for the tip.