Roqos Core router is interesting on several front. First it’s quite powerful and features-rich with an Intel Atom E3845 processor, five Gigabit Ethernet ports, 802.11ac WiFi, a USB 3.0 port, and even an HDMI port allowing you to use it as a Media Center too. It should also be quite customizable, software wise, since it runs Debian, and finally the business model is also different, as you only need to pay $19 for the router, with the catch that you need to subscribe Roqos Service with “advanced cybersecurity and parental control features” for $17 per month for at least 12 months, bringing the total to $223. After one year, you can opt out of the cloud service, and continue to use the router without the extra security features.
Roqos Core RC10 router hardware specifications:
- SoC – Intel Atom Bay Trail-T E3845 quad core processor @ up to 1.91 GHz (10W TDP)
- System Memory – 2GB RAM
- Storage – 8GB storage + SATA port on board (But AFAICS the latter is not easily usable)
- Connectivity – 5x Gigabit Ethernet ports (4x LAN, 1x WAN), 3×3 802.11ac WiFi (5.0 GHz), and 2×2 802.11n (2.4 GHz) with 5 high gain antennas (AC1600 router).
- Video Output – HDMI output
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 host port
- Power Supply – 12V/2A power supply
- Dimensions – 165.1 x 162.6 x 53.3 mm
- Temperature Range – 0 to 40℃
The router shop with a wall pluggable power adapter, and a flat Cat6 Ethernet cable.
The Debian installation in the router comes with MongoDB, Suricata, Squid, Bing,m Nging, OpenVPN and iperf installed by default, but since the company provides a account with sudo access, you should be able to easily install any Debian packages provided it fits in the 8GB flash.
The company also offers Roqos app for Android and iOS allowing to configure your device, use WPS to add new devices, manage security and parental control and more.
Roqos Service, which requires a $17 monthly subscription, offers parental control to block inappropriate content, set Internet schedule time, filter websites, pause Internet access, etc.., as well as “enterprise grade” Cybersecurity protection blocking malware and virus, blocking ads, updating firmware for security patches continuously and so on.
You can find more details about the hardware and the services on Roqos website, where you’ll also be able to purchase the router if you are based in the US.