While there are many models of TV boxes on the market, there are only a few companies that will provide firmware updates over time for their products. Two of those companies are WeTek and Ugoos, both of which recently released Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware for their Amlogic S905 TV boxes.
I actually reported about WeTek working on Android 6.0 for Hub TV box last year, but at the time it was still a beta version. The company has now released weOS 3.1 firmware with Android 6.0 for both WeTek Hub and WeTek Play 2 with the following changelog:
- Kernel Fixes
- Streaming apps in 4K
- Improved Auto refresh rate system for Kodi
- Improved DRM playback
- Added Kodi 17.3, update
- Updted Aptoide Store, Google Apps and File Manager
- WeTV (Play 2 only)
- Added XMLTV for Sat
- PG Fixes for ATSC
- Now allows ATSC-T and ATSC-C
Most people can get the updates via OTA, but in case you need to manually install weOS 3.1, the firmware can also be found in the forums. Note that you can’t go back to Android 5.1 after upgrading to Android 6.0.1.
- Android 6.0.1
- Added support Kodi 17 function “Adjust display refresh rate”
- Improved HDMI self-adaptation function (Settings -> Playback settings)
- Added fractional frequencies for HDMI self-adaptation function
- Added support HLS for HDMI self-adaptation function
- Added video frames to screenshots
- Added CPU watchdog
- (for AM1) Added ability to power on from Ugoos orange remote controller
- (for AM2) Added ability to power on/off
- (for AM2) Added choice of actions for sleep timer and power key on RC (Display -> Daydream -> Power key action)
- Added Debug Settings (Ugoos settings -> System -> Debug Settings)
- New Ugoos update service
- Fixed support HDMI passthrough function in Kodi 17
- Fixed cursor rotation
- Fixed touch screens support
- Other improvements
It’s unclear whether the Android 5.1 to Android 6.0 update is available via OTA, but the company did release firmware files for both TV boxes in the blog post.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|