So it looks like Amlogic has outed another SoC with Amlogic S905W processor that appears to be a cost down version of Amlogic S905X limited to 4K @ 30 fps video decoding. One of the first device to used the new processor is Tanix TX3 mini TV box that should be priced similarly to Rockchip RK3229 devices.
Tanix TX3 mini specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S905W quad core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 1.5 GHz with penta-core Mali-450MP GPU @ 750 MHz
- System Memory – 1GB/2GB DDR3
- Storage – 16GB eMMC flash + micro SD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0 output, AV port (composite)
- Audio – HDMI, optical S/PDIF, AV port (stereo audio)
- Video Codecs – 4K@30fps H.265, MPEG1/2/4, H.264, HD AVC/VC-1, RM/RMVB, Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6 , RealVideo8/9/10
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- Misc – IR receiver, front panel LCD display
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 105 x 105 x 15mm
- Weight – 150g
VP9 codec support also appears to be gone. The devices runs Android 7.1 with Kodi 17.3, and ships with a power adapter, a HDMI cable, an IR remote control, and a user’s manual. It’s interesting that they’ve allegedly kept HDMI 2.0 since video decoding is limited to 4K @ 30 fps.
We don’t have pricing info, but since it’s supposed to compete against Rockchip RK3229, prices should be similar to the ones for Tanix R2 TV box that is around $28 with 1GB RAM/16GB flash, and $30 in 2GB/16GB configuration based on the prices listed in GearBest. More details may be found in the manufacturer’s product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.