Amlogic S905X was supposed to allow for cheaper TV boxes compared to Amlogic S905 ones thanks to more integration with built-in Ethernet and audio DAC, as well as support for 2-layer PCB. It also adds 4K VP9 support, but it’s mostly useful for YouTube 4K, a feature only available in devices running Android TV operating system, with Xiaomi Mi Box the only option that I’m aware of based on S905X. Amlogic S905X has also been found to be slower than Amlogic S905 processor, so unless you absolutely need Android 6.0 or/and VP9 support, there’s very little reason to buy an Amlogic S905X box if it’s more expensive, which was the case for most devices so far. SCISHION V88 PRO TV box changes that somewhat as the Amlogic S905X TV box is sold for just $21.99 on GearBest.
SCISHION V88 Pro:
- SoC – Amlogic S905X quad core ARM Cortex A53 processor @ 1.5 GHz with penta-core ARM Mali-450MP GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash + SD card slot up to 16GB
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K2K @ 60 fps, and 3.5mm AV output (composite)
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV (stereo audio), and coaxial S/PDIF
- Connectivity – 10/100Mbps Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi
- USB – 4x USB 2.0 host ports
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 11.6 x 11.6 x 2.5 cm
- Weight – 143 grams
The device runs Android 6.0, and ships with an IR remote control, an HDMI cable, a power adapter, and a user’s manual in English.
If the device feels familiar, it’s because the company previous model was the $20 SCISHION V88 RK3229 TV box. The Amlogic S905X model is also sold on Chinavasion for $23.77, as well as eBay and Aliexpress, but the prices in the last two shops are currently not very attractive ($30+).
Thanks to Theguyuk for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.