LimeSDR open source hardware software defined radio was launched last year with the promise of integration with Ubuntu Snap Store allowing to easily download and install various radio implementations such as LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth, LoRa, etc… It was offered for $200 and up as part of a crowdfunding campaign, but Lime Microsystems is back on CrowdSupply with a cheaper and low end version aptly called LimeSDR Mini.LimeSDR mini specifications:
- FPGA – Intel Altera Max 10 (10M16SAU169C8G) with 16K Logic gates, 549 KB M9K memory, 2,368 KB user flash memory
- Storage – 4 MB flash memory for data; 2x128KB EEPROM for RF transceiver MCU firmware and data
- Lime Microsystems LMS7002M RF transceiver
- Tx & Rx SMA connectors
- Frequency range – 10 MHz to 3.5 GHz
- RF bandwidth – 30.72 Mhz
- Sample Rate – 30.72 MSps with 12-bit sample depth
- Power Output (CW): up to 10 dBm
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port via FTDI FT601 controller chip
- Expansion – 8-pin FPGA GPIO header
- Misc – 2x dual color LEDs, JTAG
- Power – USB or external power supply
- Dimensions – 69 mm x 31.4 mm
The company also put together a table to compare LimeSDR to LimeSDR Mini and other product on the markers from the dirty cheap RTL-SDR stick to more expensive and advanced solutions like Ettus B210.
The new LimeSDR Mini board will support the same development tools such as LimeSuite, and Snappy Ubuntu Core apps as its old brother, although I’m not quite sure about the status about the app store, as they did not provide that many details. The board will also be open source hardware, with hardware design files that should be released on MyriadRF’s Github account shortly before or after shipping. The company will also offer some accessories for the board such as an acrylic enclosure, and three SMA antennas optimized for 800-960 MHz, 1710-2170 MHz, and 2400-2700 MHz.
The goal is to raise at least $100,000 for mass production, and after a few days they’re off to a good start with over $76,000 pledged. All 500 $99 early bird rewards are gone, but you can still pledge $139 for the board with delivery planned for December 31, 2017. Shipping is free to the US, and $10 to the rest of the world.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|