Qualcomm has announced a new “Mobile Platform” with Snapdragon 636 that combines eight Kryo 260 cores, an Adreno 509 GPU, and X12 LTE modem for “high quality devices with top-level features at a low price point”, which must mean “mid range”.
The new Snapdragon 636 offers an update to Snapdragon 630 / 660 solutions released last year with up to 40% performance boost, 10% faster 3D graphics, and support for ultra-wide FHD+ displays (18:9 aspect ratio).
Key features for Snapdragon 636:
- CPU – 8x Qualcomm Kryo 260 cores clocked at up to 1.8 GHz
- GPU – Adreno 509 with support for OpenGL ES 3.2, OpenCL 2.0 full,Vulkan, DX12
- DSP – Hexagon 680 DSP with All-Ways Aware Technology, Neural Processing Engine SDK, Caffe/Caffe2 and Tensorflow support
- Memory I/F – LPDDR4/4X, dual channel up to 1333MHz, 8GB RAM
- Storage I/F – eMMC and UFS flash
- Display – Up to 2160×1080 FHD+ resolution; DisplayPort and USB type-C support for external displays
- Video – Up to 4K @ 30 fps playback and capture; up to 1080p @ 120 fps capture; H.264, H.265, VP9, VP8 codecs
- Audio – Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec and speaker amplifier; Qualcomm aptX audio playback with support for aptX classic and HD
- Camera – Up to 24MP single camera, up to 16MP dual camera; Qualcomm Spectra 160 ISP
- Modem – Snapdragon X12 LTE modem: Cat 12 for downlink (600 Mbps max); Cat 13 for uplink (150 Mbps max)
- Wireless Connectivity – Dual band 802.11ac 1×1 WiFi, Bluetooth 5
- Location – GPS, Glanass, BeiDou, Galileo, QZSS and SBAS
- Security – Qualcomm Mobile Security: smart camera, application security, Qualcomm processor security
- Charging – Quick Charge 4 technology
Snapdragon 636 is also pin-to-pin compatible with Snapdragon 630/660, so OEMs will have an easier time upgrading their models.
The Snapdragon 636 Mobile Platform is expected to ship to customers in November 2017. More info on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.