Last year, I wrote about Geniatech working on getting official Android TV support for ATV495 Max and ATV598 Max set-top boxes with Google Play GMS certification. The certification for the Amlogic S912 model with tuner (AT598 Max) is still being worked on, but the good news is that Amlogic S905X based ATV495 Max has now received Google’s Android TV approval.
The case design has changed a little since this first announcement with a more rounded and large design, but other Geniatech ATV495Max specifications have not changed:
- SoC – Amlogic S905X-B quad core ARM Cortex-A53 processor up to 1.5 GHz with Mali 450MP GPU @ up to 750MHz
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 16GB eMMC flash + micro SD Slot up to 32GB
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.0a up to 4K @ 60 Hz with CEC, HDCP, HDR; 3.5mm AV port (CVBS + stereo audio); Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus multichannel HD audio
- Video Codecs – VP9 Profile-2 up to 4K @ 60 fps, H.265 MP-10 @ L5.1 up to 4K @ 60 fps, H.264 AVC HP @ L5.1 up to 4K @ 30 fps, other codecs up to 1080p60.
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi or 802.11 b/g/ac WiFi module, optional Bluetooth
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 ports
- Power Supply – 5.0V/2A
- Dimensions – 100 x 98 x 22 mm (or 82 x 82 x 19 mm?)
- Weight – 159g
The box runs Android TV 7.1, and ships with a user manual, a HDMI cable, a power adapter, and an IR remote control with voice function by default.
That means the device will now support features such as Google voice search, Google Cast, and TV versions of apps such as YouTube, Hulu, Sling, and more. The product page also links to a specification sheet that shows Leanback launcher or other custom launcher can be implemented into Android TV. There’s no mention about DRM or apps like Netflix however.
I asked Geniatech if they had any documentation or link from Google showing certifications, but yesterday, they told me they only got a email from Google, and asked if they had any document, but no feedback so far. ATV495 Max is however listed with other OEM devices on the unofficial list of Android TV devices.
As for ATV598 Max, certification is still ongoing since more testing is required due to the included TV Tuner. [Update Jan 10, 2018: Geniatech ATV598Max is now certified for Android TV]