We’ve just written about UP AI Core mPCIe card part of the new AI Edge family from UP Board, but other members will soon be released including UP Core Plus board, that builds upon UP Core Cherry Trail board launched last year, with a choice of Intel Atom x5/x7, and Celeron/Pentium Apollo Lake processors.
The form factor is different, but just like the first UP Core board, the Core Plus board supports expansion boards via docking connectors such as the Net Plus Ethernet expansion, and the AI Plus expansion board with Intel Cyclone 10 GX FPGA.
UP Core Plus specifications:
- SoC (one or the other)
- Intel Atom x5-E3940 (2M Cache, up to 2.00 GHz)
- Intel Atom x7-E3950 (2M Cache, up to 2.00 GHz)
- Intel Celeron N3350 (2M Cache, up to 2.50 GHz)
- Intel Pentium N4200 (2M Cache, up to 2.50 GHz)
- System Memory – 2GB, 4GB or 8GB on-board DDR4L-2400
- Storage – 32GB, 64 GB, 128 GB eMMC flash
- Video Output / Display – 1x DisplayPort up to 4K 60Hz, 1x Full eDP
- Audio I/O – Via DisplayPort, and I2S
- Connectivity – WiFi 802.11 AC 2T2R + Bluetooth 4.2 (BLE)
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 Host + 1x USB 3.0 OTG + 2x USB 2.0 pin header
- Camera I/F – 1x MIPI-CSI 2 lane + 1x MIPI-CSI 4 lane
- 2x 100-pin docking connector with USB 2.0, USB 3.0, 6x PCIe Lane, SATA, I2C, I2S, SPI, PWM, LPC, SDIO, HSUART, ISH, GPIO
- 10-pin connector with 2x USB 2.0, 1x UART
- Misc – Power & reset buttons, RTC battery header, fan connector, BIOS reflash connector
- Power Supply – 12V DC-in @ 4A -6A; 5.5/2.1mm power barrel jack
- Dimensions – 90 x 56.50 mm (Same width as UP Core, but longer)
- Temperature Range – 0 to 60 °C; optional: -40 to 85°C
- Humidity – 10%～80%RH non-condensing
- Certifications – CE/FCC Class A, RED, RoHS compliant, REACH
The board is said to be compatible with Microsoft Windows 10 Professional, Microsoft Windows 10, IoT Core, Linux (Ubuntu, Yocto), and Android Marshmallow.
As mentioned in the introduction, UP Core Plus can optionally take two add-on boards: Net Plus (pictured above) with four Gigabit Ethernet port via Intel l211-AT, mini PCIe/mSATA slot, SATA port, and USB 3.0, as well as AI Plus board with the following (preliminary) specifications:
- FPGA – Intel Cyclone 10GX F672 (105KLE, 150KLE, 220KLE)
- Memory – Up to 2GB DDR3 Single Channel x32
- Storage – 1x 512 Mb SPI Flash
- Video Input – 1x HDMI IN, 1x LVDS IN, 1x 1x MIPI-CSI (4 lanes)
- Connectivity – 1x Gigabit Ethernet (Realtek 8111G) to main board
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 Type A to main board, 1x USB 3.1 Type C
- Expansion Slot
- 1x Mini card (full-size) SATA-PCI-e colay
- 2x Docking connector 100-pin to UP Core Plus main board
- Power 12V DC
- Dimensions – 90 mm x 56.5 mm
Somehow, there seems to be a MAX 10 FPGA in the mix too. The FPGA expansion board can be used with Windows 10, Linux Ubuntu, or Linux built with the Yocto Project depending whether the required FPGA IP drivers are supported by the OS.
More details about the three boards above can be found on UP Board’s AI Edge product page. No pricing, nor availability information has been released yet, but eventually we should expect the boards to join AI Core card on the AI EDGE section of UP online store.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.