Looking for a system-on-module based on Rockchip RK3399 processor? So far, you had at least four options with either edge connectors or castellated holes: Theobroma RK3399-Q7 (Qseven) SoM, 9Tripod X3399 core, Boardcon PICO3399 CPU module, or Firefly-RK3399 CoreBoard.
OpenEmbed now offers another RK3399 system-on-module with their em3399 SoM using board-to-board connectors interfacing with the carrier board.
OpenEmbed em3399 system-on-module specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3399 hexa-core processor with 2x Cortex-A72 cores, 4x Cortex-A53 cores, and a Arm Mali-T860MP4 GPU
- System Memory – 2GB or 4GB DDR3L RAM
- Storage – 16GB to 128GB eMMC 5.1 flash
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet transceiver (Atheros AR8033)
- Power Management – Rockchip RK808D PMIC
- 2x 120-pin board-to-board connectors (0.8mm pitch) with:
- HDMI 2.0 port with audio for up to 4K @ 60Hz
- DisplayPort 1.2 with audio for up to 4K @ 60Hz
- MIPI-DSI (dual-channel) at up to 2560×1600 @ 60 Hz
- eDP 1.3 (4-lane)
- Camera – 2x MIPI-CSI (up to 13MP or dual 8MP); VOP (up to 5MP)
- Audio – S/PDIF output, 8-channel I2S,HDMI and DP
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 host ports or 2x USB type C, 2x USB 2.0 host
- 1x PCI-e x1
- 5x SPI, 8x I2C, 100+ GPIOs
- Power Supply – TBD
- Dimensions – 84 x 55 mm
The company provides support for Android 7.1 and a Linux distribution with Qt, but there’s zero information on their website about software,
and was not able to get answer by email in time for this article. [Update: email reply:
The Linux and Android are ready.And Ubuntu core is under development.
We prefer to put the SDK in the Github in the Q2 of 2018.
To help with development, a cute and compact evaluation kit is also offered with a large heatsink.
- 2x 120-pin board-to-board connectors for em3399 CPU module
- Display – HDMI 2.0a port, eDP connector, DisplayPort via USB type C port (TBC)
- Audio – Via HDMI, 3.5mm audio jack (mic + stereo audio)
- Camera – 1x CSI connector
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi & Bluetooth module
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 ports, 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB type C port
- Expansion – 20-pin GPIO/Debug header with GPIOs, UART, 3.3V, 3.3V, 1.8V, GND
- Misc – Power, Recovery and reset buttons; 5V power LED; 2-pin RTC battery header
- Power Supply – 12V DC via power barrel jack
- Dimensions – 84 x 55 mm
em3399 module sells for $99, and the EVB for $149 (including the module) as long as you purchase at least 100 pieces, but you can also get sample units for 20% extra either by contacting the company via the product page, or purchasing them on OpenEmbed’s Taobao page for respectively 650 CNY ($102.50) or 899 CNY (~$142 US) for 2GB/16GB configuration and 950 CNY ($151) or 1,199 CNY ($189) or for the 4GB/32GB models.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.