It’s already possible to connect a 3.5″ SATA drive to Rockchip RK3399 based hardware with products like Vorke Z3 TV box exposing an external SATA connector, or development boards such as ODROID-N1, Orange Pi RK3399, or Firefly AIO-3399J.
None of those solutions offers a neat way to store your hard drive, so you’d have cables and the drive exposed to dust, unless you make your own case. Ugoos UT5 Pro TV box offers an easier way to neatly connect a 3.5″ SATA drive since it includes an internal SATA slot. The device also features a USB 3.0 device port allowing user to connect the box directly to their computer to transfer files.
- SoC – Rockchip RK3399 dual core Cortex-A72 + quad core Cortex-A53, Arm Mali-860MP4 GPU with support for OpenGL ES1.1/2.0/3.0/3.1, OpenVG1.1, OpenCL, DX11
- System Memory – 4GB DDRIII-2133 (2GB option)
- 32GB eMMC flash (optional:16/32/64GB)
- SATA slot for 2.5″ or 3.5″ drives up to 8TB
- micro SD slot up to 256GB
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K2K @ 60 Hz
- Audio – HDMI digital audio output, optical S/PDIF output, 3.5mm microphone jack, 3.5mm audio output jack
- Video Decoding – H.265 4096×2304 @ 60fps, H.264 4096×2304 @ 60fps (TBC), VP9 4096×2304 @ 60fps, MPG4 1920×1080 60fps, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4,H.263, H.264, AVS, VC-1,RV, VP6/VP8, Sorenson Spark, MVC
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Dual band 802.11 b/g/b/ac WiFi 2×2 MIMO and Blueooth 4.2 (Ampak AP6359S module) with 3x 5dB WiFi antennas
- USB – 1x USB3.0 host port， 2x USB2.0 host ports, 1x USB
Type-C port, 1x USB 3.0 device port
- Misc – IR receiver, cooling fan, power button, front panel display
- Power Supply – 12V/3A
- Dimensions – 210x152x67mm
- Weight – 1.4kg
The box runs Android 7.1 and by default, ships with a user manual, a 12V/3A power adapter, a HDMI cable, an IR remote control, and a USB type C cable. Optional accessories include a 2.4GHz air mouse or a 2.4GHz wireless mouse and keyboard.
Ugoos UT5 Pro looks similar to some of Realtek RTD1295 based devices like Zidoo X10 or EWEAT R9 Plus, and while the overall system performance should be quite faster on the Rockchip device for talks like web browsing or gaming, video playback will likely be better on the Realtek devices, except for 4K H.264 videos over 24 fps, which you may have if you’ve even recorded 4K 30 fps videos on a smartphone or older 4K camera. UT5 Pro may also not support dual OS firmware (Android + OpenWrt/Linux), but I’m sure Ugoos would have implemented some NAS functions inside Android itself.
The device appears to be on pre-sale for 199,00 Euros including taxes. Ugoos UT5 Pro is also marked as “in stock” on the official Ugoos website, and the company accept requests from potential buyers (likely B2B).
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
One site is trying to charge
UGOOS UT5 PRO ROCKCHIP RK3399 64-BIT HEXACORE ANDROID TV BOX / MINI PC / MEDIACENTRE + OS ANDROID 7.1 NOUGAT
At 199€ it’s not cheap.
That’s with VAT, so in the US it would be something like $199. I’m not even sure that price is correct/updated. They seem to be using an old photo.
A metal case combined with this type of HDD slot usually increases the price quite a bit, and a $200 price-point is probably fair for devices with this type of design and specs.