Around 2 years ago, I reviewed GOLE1 mini PC running Windows 10 and Android 5.1, powered by an Intel Atom x5-Z8300 Cherry Trail processor with 4GB RAM and 64GB SSD. It also came with a 5″ 1280×720 display and a battery, so you could use it on the go. I discovered several issues related to WiFi, USB 3.0, Windows 10 on a 5″ display, among others, but still found it was an interesting concept.
Mi Mini PC – unrelated to Xiaomi Mi products – looks very similar to GOLE1, but comes with better specifications including an Atom x7 processor, 8GB RAM, and a 128GB SSD.
Mi Mini PC specifications:
- SoC – Intel Atom x7-Z8750 quad core Cherry Trail processor @ 1.60 / 2.56 GHz with 16EU Intel HD Graphics; 2W SDP
- System Memory – 8 GB RAM
- Storage – 128 GB SSD (upgradeable to 256 or 512 GB) + micro SD card slot
- Display – 5″ touchscreen display with 1280×720 resolution
- Video Output – HDMI port
- Audio – Via HDMI, 3.5mm headphone jack, speakers
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, Dual band WiFi. Bluetooth 4.2 LE
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 ports, 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB type C port
- Battery – 6,000 mAh battery good for around 6 hours on a charge
- Power Supply – 5V via DC jack
- Dimensions – 135 x 90 x 16 mm (aluminum enclosure)
- Weight – 230 grams
Beside Windows 10, MI mini PC duals boot Android 5.1, and there’s a paid upgrade ($15) to run Android 7.1 instead. The device ships with a foldable Bluetooth keyboard, a power adapter, two carrying pockets, and a stand cover.
This type of mini PC is quite versatile, as you could use it as a small (but thick) table, a portable mini PC, as a control panel while connected with a larger display (think retail or maybe Karaoke), a portable gaming console with its optional gamepad, and so on.
The mini PC launched on Indiegogo a few days ago, and has been very popular so far having raised over $400,000, likely thanks to the aggressive pricing as you can get Mi Mini PC with accessories for just $149. Shipping is not included, but you happen to live in Hong Kong or China, it’s free, and only goes to up $10 to $25 for other countries. Delivery is scheduled for September 2018.