MediaTek started their Helio processor portfolio with X-series processors such as Helio X20 in 2015, with X standing for eXtreme performance. Since then the company has mostly stopped aimed at the top of the market, and launched P-Series (Premium) the next year with Helio P20 processor among others, which do not quite offer the same level performance, and can be found in smartphones that are sometimes referred to as mid-range premium mobile devices.
The company has now launched another Helio family of processor with Helio A-Series, with A standing for “Advanced” but it could also be read as “Affordable” since the new series targets the mid-range market.
The first member of the family is Helio A22 system-on-chip (SoC) with the following key features and specifications:
- CPU – Quad core Arm Cortex-A53 processor at up to 2.0 GHz
- GPU – Imagination PowerVR GE8320 GPU
- Memory I/F – LPDDR3 up to 4GB @ 933 MHz, LPDDR4x up to 6GB @ 1600MHz
- Storage I/F – eMMC 5.1 flash interface
- Display – Up to 1600 x 720
- Video – H.264 encoding up to 1080p30, H.265/H.264 playback up to 1080p30
- 21MP single camera @ 30 fps, or 13+8MP camera @ 30 fps
- Features – AI Face ID (Face Unlock), AI Smart Photo Album, Single-Cam/Dual-Cam Bokeh; MEMA 3DNR; Multi-Frame Noise reduction
- Technologies – Carrier Aggregation (CA), CDMA2000 1x/EVDO Rev. A (SRLTE), FDD / TDD LTE, HSPA +
- Specific Functions – TAS 2.0, HUPE, IMS (VoLTE\ViLTE\WoWi-Fi), eMBMS, Dual 4G VoLTE (DSDS), Band 71
- LTE Cat-4, Cat-7 DL / Cat-13 UL
- 802.11 a/g/b/n/ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 5.0
- GNSS – Beidou, Galileo, Glonass, GPS
- FM Radio
- Mediatek Technologies – CorePilot, Imagiq, MiraVision, NeuroPilot, Pump Express, Tiny Sensor Hub
- Process – 12nm FinFET fabrication technology
MediaTek explains the new processor includes connectivity upgrades from the previous generation such multi-GNSS options with GPS, Glonass, Beidou, Galileo support, 57% improvement in Hot TTFF, 10% accuracy improvement and up to 24% lower power operation. Any improvement related to GNSS is welcomes as in my limited personal experience, I’ve found MediaTek processors to be lacking in that regards compared to Qualcomm processors. Other improvements include Bluetooth 5 connectivity, and the company claims Bluetooth and Wi-Fi 802.11ac simultaneous co-existence can provide up to 5X Wi-Fi throughput boost over the previous generation.
Mediatek Helio A-Series processors are now in production now, and and Helio A22 can be found in Xiaomi Redmi 6A just launched in in China for 599元 and up (~$90). You may find a few more details on the processor’s product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.