Last year, I reviewed Rikomagic RKM R1 Android mini projector with a typical TI DLP with 854×480 native resolution found in competitors, but what I really like what the touchpad and buttons at the top of the device that made it so much easier to configure and control compared to a device like Doogee P1.
However with a Rockchip RK3128 quad core Cortex A7 processor and 1GB RAM, performance was on the lower side, and software already felt a little outdated (in 2017) with Android 4.4 and Kodi 14.2. The good news is that company has now launched Rikomagic R5 mini projector with significantly better hardware (Rockchip RK3328 processor + 2GB RAM), and a more recent Android 7.1 operating system.
- SoC – Rockchip RK3328 quad core Cortex A53 processor with penta-core Mali-450MP GPU
- System memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 16GB eMMC flash, micro SD slot up to 32GB
- DLP technology with 0.2″ DMD + RGB LED with real 150 ANSI lumens
- Resolution – 854×480 (WVGA)
- Contrast ratio – 500:1
- Projection – Area – 40 to 300″; distance: 0.5 to 8 meters; ratio: 1.4:1 (31″ @ 1 meter)
- Keystone correction – automatic, vertical: -/+ 40 degrees
- Manual focus
- LED Lamp life – 10,000 hours
- Video Input – HDMI 1.4 port up to 1080p60
- Audio – 3.5mm earphone jack, built-in 3W speaker
- Connectivity – Dual band 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi, and Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 host port, 1x USB 2.0 host port
- Misc – IR receiver, touchpad on top of enclosure, power button, reset pinhole, cooling fan
- Power Supply – 12V/3A via power barrel jack
- Battery – 8,000 mAh / 3.7V battery good for around 1.5 hours of play time; charging time: 4 hours
- Dimensions – 114 x 114 x 29mm
- Weight – 400 grams
The company has changed the projector DMD using a 0.2″ DMD instead of a 0.3″ DMD found in RKM R1, and beside the better performance from the processor and extra RAM, the company also added AC WiFi, a USB 3.0 port, and a larger battery. The latter appears needed since it only lasts 1.5 hours on a charge.
The physical design has changed since the project is now square shape instead of rectangular. Video playback capabilities will be better too as H.264, H.265 and VP9 are supported up to 4K UHD resolution. The main advantage is not necessarily better quality since you’ll be limited by the projector resolution, but the simple fact that 4K video will be playable, something that was not possible in R1 model.
Rikomagic R5 mini projector can be purchased on Aliexpress for $291.53 including shipped with the power adapter, an IR remote control, a HDMI cable, a USB cable, and a tripod.
[Update: I’ve just realized it looks eerily similar to Ugoos UP1 Android projector].