In recent years, we’ve started to see Windows 10 mini laptops with 6″ to 8″ display and a foldable keyboard coming to market thanks to products such as GPD Pocket 2 or One Mix 2 Yoga. They offer a full Windows 10 experience in an ultra-small form factor, but you’d still need to carry your phone around with you for things like calls or SMS.
Cosmo Communicator offers a similar experience, but instead of relying on Intel processor and Windows, the device comes with a Mediatek P70 mobile processor capable of running Android 9 Pie or Linux distributions merging phone and mini laptop functionalities into a single device.
- SoC – Mediatek P70 octa-core processor with four Arm Cortex A73 cores @ up to 2.0GHz, four Cortex A53 cores @ up to 2.0GHz, Arm Mali G72 MP3 GPU @ 800MHz, and a Dual-core mobile AI processor (APU)
- System Memory – 6GB RAM
- Storage – 128GB flash, microSD card slot
- Main Display – 5.99″ touchscreen display with 2160×1080 resolution (FHD+ 18:9), scratch resistant glass
- External Display – 2.0″color AMOLED touchscreen display with 570 x 240 resolution, scratch-resistant glass
- Wireless Connectivity
- GSM, CDMA, WCDMA, LTE worldwide modem (Cat.7 DL / Cat. 13 UL )
- VoLTE, ViLTE & VoWiFi compatible
- Dual SIM operation (Dual-SIM / 1 x eSIM)
- Dual 4G Modem
- Dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi 5
- Bluetooth 4.2
- GPS plus AGPS
- Camera – 24MP external camera, 5MP internal camera
- Audio – Stereo speakers, integrated ambient microphone, 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio
- USB – 2x USB Type C ports with OTG support, HDMI out via adapter cable
- User Inputs – Backlit mechanical full keyboard, dedicated button for voice commands, call answer buttons integrated with a fingerprint scanner
- Sensors – Accelerometer, compass, light sensor, gyro, magneto-sensor, fingerprint scanner
- Battery – 4,220 mAh Li-Ion battery
- Dimensions – 17.14(W) x 7.93cm(D) x 1.6(H)cm
- Weight – Approx 320g
Cosmo Communicator can run the latest Android 9 mobile operating systems, as well as Sailfish OS and Debian Linux distributions with a multi-boot option.
The device launched in September via an Indiegogo campaign during my holidays which must explain why I missed it. It’s still available now as an InDemand product in Indiegogo for $596 plus shipping. Delivery is planned for May / June 2019. Retail price is expected to be $799. The company behind the project – Planet Computers – successfully shipped their Gemini PDA pocket PC last year also funded through Indiegogo.
The company is now showcasing the device at CES 2019, and several blogs and news sites had the chance to get a close look at the devices including Tom’s guide, Liliputing, and MobileGeeks.de. The units are still under development with the backlit keyboard missing, and touch input not working just yet, so actual reviews will have to wait a little longer.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
5 Replies to “Cosmo Communicator 2-in-1 Smartphone & Pocket Computer Runs Android 9, Linux”
I ordered for this product last year but I haven’t received it till now
I ordered it and never got it. This is a scam site. Dont buy nothing from these guys
“Delivery is planned for May / June 2019”. I’m confused as to why people would complain at this stage.
Projects are often late though, and if nothing comes by July, then it’s time to complain.
“Dont buy nothing from these guys”
A double negative is a definite no-no.