NXP i.MX 8 series family offers plenty of options from the i.MX 8X Cortex-A35 processor to i.MX 8QuadMax octa-core processor with two Arm Cortex-A72, four Arm Cortex-A53, and two Arm Cortex-M4F cores. We already covered plenty of i.MX 8 hardware on CNX Software, including a fair amount of i.MX 8QuadMax systems-on-module such as Toradex Apalis iMX8, iWave Systems iW-RainboW-G27M SMARC 2.0 SoM, Advantech ROM-7720 Qseven 2.1 computer-on-module, and others.
But for some unknown reasons, there haven’t been that many i.MX 8QuadMax single board computer, and AFAICR we only wrote about Seco SBC-C43 board so far. But there’s now another option thanks to iWave Systems iW-Rainbow-G27S Pico-ITX SBC equipped with a choice of i.MX 8QuadMax or i.MX 8QuadPlus processor and up to 8GB RAM.
- SoC (one or the other)— NXP i.MX8 with VPU and HiFi4 DSP:
- NXP i.MX 8QuadMax with 2x Cortex-A72 cores, 4x Cortex-A53 cores, 2x Cortex-M4F real-time cores, 2x Vivante GC7000XVSX GPU, HiFi 4 DSP
- NXP i.MX 8QuadPlus with 1x Cortex-A72 core, 4x Cortex-A53 cores, 2x Cortex-M4F real-time cores, 2x GC7000Lite/XVSX GPU, HiFi 4 DSP
- Memory – 4GB LPDRR4 (upgradeable to 8GB)
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash (expandable), MicroSD slot, M.2 B-key socket for SATA drives
- Video I/O
- HDMI 2.0a output up to 4K
- Micro HDMI 2.0a input port
- 40-pin eDP connector up to 4K
- MIPI-DSI/CSI, LVDS via expansion connectors (see details below)
- Quadruple display support
- Audio – I2S Audio codec, 3.5mm audio IN/OUT jack, SAI via expansion headers
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports
- 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 + Bluetooth 5.0
- 3G/4G LTE cellular connectivity via M.2 socket + nano-SIM slot
- USB -2x USB 3.0 host ports, 1x micro USB 2.0 OTG port
- Serial – RS-232 interface, CAN interface
- M.2 B-key socket with 2x PCIe, SATA, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, I2S, I2C, HSIC, and nano-SIM slot
- Expansion Connector 1 – 4-lane MIPI-DSI and 4-lane MIPI-CSI, MIPI-CI I2C, SAI, CAN, QSPI, DMA/I2C, UART, M40 UART
- Expansion Connector 2 – 4-lane MIPI-DSI, 2x 4-lane LVDS, CAN/SPDIF, DMA/I2C, SPI
- Expansion Connector 3 – 4-lane MIPI-CSI, MIPI-CSI I2C, 2x 4-lane LVDS, PWM, SPI, M41 UART
- Debugging – Debug UART, optional JTAG connector
- Other features — RTC with battery connector, anti-tamper headers
- Power Supply – 12/2A DC input via external adapter
- Temperature Range – -40 to 85°C
- Dimensions – 100 x 72mm (Pico-ITX form factor)
iWave Systems provides Linux 4.14.98, Android Pie 9.0.0, QNX 7.0.0, and supports Xen hypervisor for the board.
Some of the applications that may benefit from such board include complex consumer, medical and industrial embedded computing applications with support for up to four independent displays, and three cameras.
The company did not provide availability nor pricing information, You can find more information about iW-Rainbow-G27S, and/or enquire the company on the product page.