Toradex Apalis iMX8 is another system-on-module powered by NXP i.MX 8QuadMax hexa core Arm Cortex A72 + 53 processor, which comes with 4GB LPDDR4 RAM, up to 16GB flash, and an on-board dual-band 802.11ac 2×2 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5 ready module.
The company has just opened early access for selected customers, so it has become possible to start developing products with the MXM3 computer-on-module.
Apalix i.MX8 module specifications:
- SoC – NXP i.MX 8QuadMax hexa core processor with 2x Arm Cortex-A72 cores @ 1.6 GHz, 4x Arm Cortex-A53 cores @ 1.26 GHz, 2x Cortex-M4 real-time core @ 266 MHz, and dual Vivante GC7000XSVX GPU
- System Memory – 4GB LPDDR4 (64 Bit)
- Storage – Up to 16GB eMMC flash
- On-module Connectivity
- Gigabit Ethernet via Microchip KSZ9031 transceiver with low power features
- Dual-band 802.11ac 2×2 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5 via Azurewave AW-CM276NF M.2 1216 LGA module
- Audio – NXP SGTL5000 low power stereo codec
- 314-pim MXM3 edge connector with:
- Storage – 1x SATA-III, 1x 8 Bi / 1x 4 Bit SDIO/SD/MMC interface
- HDMI 2.0a up to 4K UltraHD
- 1x eDP 1.4 or DisplayPort 1.3
- 1x single lane MIPI DSI
- 3x 1366 x 768 x 24bpp Single / 1x 1920 x 1200 x 24bpp Dual + 1x 1366 x 768 x 24bpp Single LVDS
- 4-wire resistive touch
- 1x AC97 or I2S
- 1x S/PDIF out, 1x S/PDIF input
- Stereo Line In
- Mono microphone input
- Stereo headphone output
- Camera – 2x Quad Lane MIPI CSI-2
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 host, 2x USB 2.0 Host, 1x USB 2.0 OTG
- Ethernet – Gigabit with AVB (+2nd RGMII)
- PCIe – 2 (x1 Gen 3)
- 7x I2C, 4x SPI, 6x PWM
- 7x UART, 3x CAN
- 1x IRDA
- Up to 133 GPIOs
- 8x Analog inputs
- Power Supply – 3.3V input; 2x NXP PF8100 PMIC
- Dimensions – 82 x 45 x 6 mm
- Temperature Range – Commercial 0 to 70°C; industrial: 40° to 85°C
The company provide embedded Linux, a Yocto Project based Linux BSP, and FreeRTOS for the module, as well as a choice of two baseboards: Ixora carrier board and Apalis evaluation board to get started with development.
The Ixora board is equipped with an MXM3 socket for Apalis modules, a Gigabit Ethernet board, two USB 3.0 ports, one USB 2.0 port, HDMI 2.0 output, an LVDS connector, an audio jack, an mPCIe slot, an mSATA slot, and various expansion headers for GPIOs, I2C, SPI, analog inputs, etc… The board can be powered with variable DC input from 7V to 27V.
Toradex Apalis iMX8 computer-on-module comes with long term availability until 2030. Pricing has not been made public for the module, but Ixora carrier board goes for 89 Euros, and the full-features Apalis evaluation board is sold for 199 Euros. If your company has a project that could benefit from the CoM, you can request for early access by contacting sales through the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.