Gateworks introduced its Newport SBC family powered by Cavium Octeon TX processors and designed for networking applications in 2017. One of those boards was a compact SBC with one Gigabit Ethernet port, an mPCIe socket, and a USB 2.0 Type-C port.
The company has now launched Newport GW6903 SBC with the same 100x35mm form factor but with one Gigabit Ethernet port, two mPCIe sockets, and a faster USB 3.0 Type-A port.
Newport GW6903 specifications:
- SoC –
CaviumMarvell Octeon TX CN8120 dual-core Armv8 processor @ 800 MHz or Octeon TX CN8130 quad-core ARMv8 processor @ 1.5 GHz
- System Memory – 1GB DDR4 SDRAM (Option up to 4GB)
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash (Option up to 64GB), serial configuration EEPROM
- Networking – Gigabit Ethernet Port with Passive PoE Support
- GNSS – Optional Ublox ZOE-MQ8 GNSS GPS Receiver with PPS support
- USB – USB 3.0 Type-A host port
- 2x Half Card mini PCIe sockets both with PCIe support and one with USB 2.0 support.
- Application Connector with Digital I/O, Analog, Reset and Power
- Misc – RTC + coin-cell battery socket, voltage and temperature monitor, programmable watchdog timer, programmable fan speed controller and tachometer monitor, programmable shutdown and wake-up, user push-button, tri-color status LED
- Power Supply – 8 to 60VDC via passive PoE
- Power consumption – 4W @ 25C (typ.)
- Dimensions – 100 x 35 x 21 mm
- Weight – 85 grams
- Temperature Range – -40C to +85C
Other main differences compared to the earlier GW6100 networking SBC are that PoE appears to be the only power option, while the older board also had a DC power barrel jack, and mSATA SSDs are not supported.
The company provides BSPs for OpenWrt and Ubuntu, and you’ll find software documentation in the Wiki. There’s also a GW6903 Development Kit (GW11046) with the board, U-Boot bootloader, Ubuntu Linux Board Support Package, required interface cables, a power supply, and a JTAG programmer to update firmware and provide serial console access.
The company provides mPCIe cards with Iridium satellite modem, sub-1GHz radio, LTE Cat. 4 or Cat. M1 cellular modem, and/or WiFi 5 802.11ac/b/g/n. Newport GW6903 SBC is especially targeted at IoT gateways.
The board is available now at an undisclosed price. More information may be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.