The company’s latest GENE-WHU6 is a features-rich 3.5″ SubCompact SBC offered with a choice of Intel Core i3/i5/i7 and Celeron Whiskey Lake Embedded processors and designed for embedded and artificial intelligence applications thanks to an M.2 socket accepting AI accelerator cards.
AAEON GENE-WHU6 specifications:
- SoC (one or the other)
- Intel Celeron 4305UE dual-core processor @ 2GHz with Intel UHD Graphics 610; 15W TDP
- Intel Core i3-8145UE dual-core/quad-thread processor @ 2.2GHz / 3.9GHz (Turbo) with Intel UHD Graphics 620; 15W TDP
- Intel Core i5-8365UE quad-core/octa-thread processor @ 1.6GHz / 4.1GHz (Turbo) with Intel UHD Graphics 620; 15W TDP
- Intel Core i7-8665UE quad-core/octa-thread processor @ 1.7GHz / 4.4GHz (Turbo) with Intel UHD Graphics 620; 15W TDP
- System Memory – 2x 2400 MHz Dual Channel DDR4 (Non-ECC) SODIMM up to 32GB
- Storage – SATA 3.0 connector; M.2 2280 B-key socket for NVMe or SATA SSD (BIOS selectable); full-size mSATA socket for SSD
- Display I/F and Video Output
- HDMI 2.0 and VGA
- LVDS (default) or eDP connector
- Touch header
- Backlight inverter supply
- Audio – High Definition Audio Interface
- Connectivity – Dual Gigabit Ethernet via Intel i210/i211 & i219 controller
- USB – 4x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A ports, 2x USB 2.0 interface via header?
- Serial Port – 2x RS-232/422/485
- Full-size mSATA/mPCIe x 1 with NANO-SIM slot(mSATA as default, select by BIOS)
- M.2 2280 B key socket (PCI-e as default, SATA select by BIOS)
- M.2 2230 E key socket for WIFI/BT (PCIe/USB signal only)
- Headers for SMBUS/I2C/LPC/eSPI
- 8-bit DIO header
- Misc – Watchdog, Wake on LAN support,
- Power Supply – 9 to 36V (Optional: +12V); AT/ATX connector
- Power Consumption (Typical) – Intel i7-8665UE with 16GB DDR4 2400: 2.8A @ +12V
- Dimensions – 146 x 101.7 mm (3.5″ SubCompact Board)
- Temperature Range – Operating: 0°C ~ 60°C; storage: -40°C ~ 81°C
- Humidity – 0% ~ 90% relative humidity, non-condensing
- Certifications – CE/FCC
As mentioned in the introduction the board accepts AI accelerator cards with the company highlighting its Kneron KL520 NPU modules and AI Core X M.2/mPCIe card powered by Intel Movidius Myriad X VPU. Note the board ships with a heat spreader – not shown on the photo above – for cooling.
The company provides Windows drivers for graphics, audio, I2C, touch controller, Ethernet, etc… Linux will certainly boot in the board, and I’d expect most features to work, but it’s still possible that some specific hardware features, like the touch controller, may not work properly or at all.
AAEON GENE-WHU6 3.5″ SubCompact SBC can be used in all sorts of embedded and artificial intelligence applications, including smart manufacturing and intelligent safety and security.
More details can be found on the product page. AAEON GENE-WHU6 SBC is available now, and the Core-i7 model (GENE-WHU6-A10-0003) can be purchased for $1,022 in its default configuration. Note the Celeron version listed in the specs does not have a part number, so it may only a choice for custom orders.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.