AAEON launched their UP board family back in 2015 with the original board featuring an Atom X5 Cherry Trail processor. Since then they’ve launched other models all based on processors with 10W or lower TDP (Thermal Design Power) such as UP Squared Apollo Lake development board.
But the company has now upped the ante by going with Intel Core-U series Whiskey Lake processors (15W TDP) in their upcoming UP Xtreme single board computer (SBC) that will feature some of those Core i3/i5/i7 processors.
UP Xtreme specifications:
- SoC- Intel Dual/Quad Core “Whiskey Lake” Core i3/i5/i7 processor @ 1.8 GHz (Boost frequnecy up to 3.9GHz for i3/i5, up to 4.6 GHz for i7) with Intel UHD graphics 620; 15W TDP
- System Memory – Up to 16GB dual-channel DDR4 memory (soldered on-board)
- Storage – 16GB to 128GB eMMC 5.1 flash, 1x SATA connector with power connector
- Video Output
- 1x eDP with backlight control header
- 1x HDMI/DisplayPort Stack connector
- Audio – ALC887 for 3.5mm Audio Out/Mic In jack, I2S
- Network Connectivity – Dual Gigabit Ethernet via Intel i210/i211, and i219LM PHY’s
- USB – 4x USB3.0 ports, 2x USB2.0 ports
- Serial Ports – 2x 10-pin RS232/422/485 headers via Fintech F81801
- Expansion Slot
- 1x Minicard with 1x PCIex1 (option mSATA), 1x USB2.0, and SIM card slot
- 1x M.2 2230 E Key socket (1x PCIe x1, 1x USB2.0)
- 1x M.2 2242/2280 B/M Key socket (2 x PCIe / 2xSATA)
- Expansion HAT (40pin) – 28xGPIO, 2xSPI, 2x I2C, 1x ADC, 1x I2S, 2x PWM, 1x UART, 3V3, 5V, GND via Intel MAX V CPLD
- 100-pin Docking Connector with 12V, GND, 3x PCIe x1, 2x PCIe x1 or USB 3.0, and 2x USB2.0
- STM32 /O header
- Misc – Power Button / LED, RTC battery
- Power Supply – 12~65V DC-IN via lockable connector
- Dimensions – 120 x 120mm
- Temperature Range – 0-60°C
- Humidity – 0% ~ 90% relative humidity, non-condensing
- Certifications – CE, FCC
Almost active fan options were available, previous UP boards could be cooled with a large heatsink, but UP Xtreme will likely ship with an heatsink + fan combination by default due to the extra heat generated. The company lists Windows 10, Linux (Ubuntu, Yocto), and Android as supported operating systems.
You may find a few more details in the product page, but at the time of writing pricing and availability information has not been made public. However, if we are to believe the prices listed for Whiskey Lake processor in Intel Ark, the boards won’t come cheap with the recommended customer price for Intel Core i3-8145U processor is $281, and an entry-level laptop based on the processor sells for about $500, so I’d expect the cheapest UP Xtreme board to cost around $350-$400 with the Core i3-8145U processor and 4GB RAM.
Thanks to Daniel for the tip
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|