4K TV boxes capable of playing AV1 content are coming later this year. Many of the entry-level models will feature Amlogic S905X4 processor, but some higher-end set-top boxes will instead be equipped with Broadcom BCM7218X or Realtek RTD1319 processor with better video post-processing capabilities and often more extensive DRM support which can be important to operators.
Dune HD AV1 4K TV box is coming later this year with Realtek RTD1319 media processor, and support for either Android 10 AOSP or Android TV for Android 10.
- SoC – Realtek RTD1319 quad-core Arm Cortex A55 processor with Mali-G31 GPU with OpenGL ES 3.2 API support
- System Memory – 2 GB RAM
- Storage – 16 GB flash (32 GB or more as an option)
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.1 up to 4Kp60 with HDR support, 3.5mm AV port with composite video and analog stereo audio
- Video Playback
- AV1 up to 4Kp60
- VP9 Profile 2 (likely up to 4Kp60)
- HEVC (H.265) 10-bit (likely up to 4Kp60)
- H.264 probably up to 4Kp30 or 4Kp24
- MPEG4, MPEG2, MPEG1, WMV, VC1, possibly up to 1080p60
- HDR – HDR10+ and optional Dolby Vision
- DRM – HLS AES, Widevine L1, and optional Verimatrix
- Audio codecs – AAC, MPEG I Layer 1/2/3, MPEG II Layer 1/2, LPCM, ADPCM, Vorbis, FLAC, ALAC, DD/DD+, DTS plus optional TrueHD and DTS HD
- Gigabit or Fast Ethernet
- Dual-band 802.11b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 2T2R
- Bluetooth 4.x/5.x
- 3x internal antennas (2T2R Wi-Fi + Bluetooth)
- USB – 1x USB 3.1 port
- Power Supply – 5V DC jack
The TV box will ship with a power adapter and a choice or IR or Bluetooth remote control. It will be a dual OS system as we reported for other recent Dune HD media players, namely Linux-based Dune HD OS will handle video playback, and run side-by-side with Android 10.0 either AOSP or Android TV depending on the customer choice.
Considering the options, and support for “remote monitoring and service management” Dune HD AV1 4K set-top box looks to target operators specifically, and it’s unclear whether a version will be sold directly to the general public.
There’s very little public information about RTD1319 (and RTD1311) SoC’s, apart from some commits to mainline Linux for the processors and PymParticle EVB, as well as 2019 video showing 4K AV1 video playback on a development board.
More details about Dune HD AV1 4K TV box may be found on the product page.