Intel NUC mini PCs or mini Desktops have been around for over 8 years, but now Intel has just announced an NUC laptop kit. Wait… What? Yep, NUC just stands for “Next Unit of Computing”, so it can be any kind of computer, and the company’s latest NUC is Intel NUC M15 laptop kit (codenamed “Bishop County”) powered by an Intel 11th generation Tiger Lake processor.
The NUC M15 laptop kit complies with Project Athena that aims for thin laptops with fast response times and long battery life and targets the whitebook market, so Intel customers can use it as a reference design meeting Intel Evo platform brand requirements.
- LAPBC710 – Intel Core i7-1165G7 quad-core/octa-thread Tiger Lake processor @ up to 2.8 GHz (base) / 4.7 GHz (Turbo single-core) / 4.1 GHz (Turbo all-core) with 12M Cache, 96 EU Intel Iris Xe graphics @ up to 1.30 GHz; TDP: 15-28W
- LAPBC510 – Intel Core i7-1135G7 quad-core/octa-thread Tiger Lake processor @ up to 2.4 GHz (base) / 4.2 GHz (Turbo single-core) / 3.8 GHz (Turbo all-core) with 8MB Cache, 80 EU Intel Iris Xe graphics @ up to 1.30 GHz; TDP: 15-28W
- System Memory
- LAPBC510 – 8GB dual-channel LPDDR4x-4266MHz
- LAPBC710 – 16GB dual-channel LPDDR4x-4266MHz
- Storage – 1x M.2 card slot
- Display – 15.6-inch IPS display with 1,920 x 1,080 resolution
- Video Output- HDMI port
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack, speakers, microphone
- Camera – Built-in webcam
- Connectivity – 802.11ax WiFI 6 via Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 M.2 card
- USB – 2x USB ports
- Thunderbolt – 2x Thunderbolt 4 USB-C ports
- Misc – Kensington lock; user presence detection; fast wake up from sleep under one second
- Battery – 73 Wh battery good for up to 16 hours of video playback; 30 minutes fast charge gives around four hours of battery life
- Dimensions – 355 x 230 x 14.9mm
- Weight – Under 1.7 kg
Intel only lists Windows 10 operating system for the laptop. The company will not sell the Intel NUC M15 directly to consumers and instead will rely on EVO-approved channel partners such as Acer, ASUS, Dell, Lenovo, HP, and others. The first laptops based on Bishop County design are expected in January 2021.