Lilygo TTGO T-Watch-2020 is a thin, ESP32 smartwatch programmable with Arduino that was introduced last year. The WiFi and Bluetooth-connected watch is equipped with a 1.54-inch LCD capacitive touch screen, a Class-D amplifier, buzzer, accelerometer, RTC, and a battery.
The watch is one of the top-selling devices on Lilygo’s Aliexpress store, and they must have had requirements for voice control, so the company has now launched TTGO T-Watch-2020 V3 based on the same design but adding a PDM microphone.
As far as I can TTGO T-Watch-2020 V3 specifications are the same as last year’s model, except for the microphone:
- SoC – Espressif ESP32 dual-core wireless processor with 520KB SRAM
- System Memory – 8MB PSRAM
- Storage – 16MB QSPI flash
- Display – 1.54-inch LCD capacitive touch screen
- Audio – Max98357 Class-D amplifier, buzzer/speaker, PDM microphone
- Connectivity – 802.11b/g/n WiFi 4 and Bluetooth 4.x/5.1 via ESP32
- Sensors – BMA423 three-axis accelerometer with built-in step counting algorithm, activity recognition/tracking, advanced gesture recognition.
- Misc – Power button (round), PCF8563 RTC clock, vibration motor, IR transmitter
- Programming – Via Micro USB port (CP2104 USB to TTL chip)
- 380 mAh/3.7V Lithium battery
- Charging – 5V/1A via Micro USB port; AXP202 PMIC
- Dimensions – 40 x 47.45 x 13 mm; Length with wristband: 272 mm
- Weight – Around 59 grams
The watch can be used as an IoT terminal controller, a wearable device, for STEM education, DIY project, and thanks to the addition of the microphone, voice interaction is now possible.
The watch ships with a 30cm Micro USB cable for charging and programming. Documentation and software support should have improved since last year and you’ll find both respectively on Readthedocs and Github (Arduino). It’s also possible to program the watch with MicroPython or the ESP-IDF, but there may be less documentation, and most people should probably stick to Arduino programming on this watch.
An Arduino sketch for using the Microphone can be found here. It will show dynamic volume lines on the display.
T-Watch-2020 V3 can be purchased on Aliexpress for $29.47 plus shipping. For reference, the original T-Watch-2020 ESP32 watch without a microphone is now sold for $25.91 plus shipping.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.