We’ve already covered some COM Express modules based on AMD Ryzen Embedded V2000 processors with products like ADLINK cExpress-AR COM Express Type 6 Compact computer-on-module, but Kontron COMe-bV26 is the first we’ve seen that follow COM Express Basic Type 6 standard.
The module supports up to 64GB DDR4 via two SO-DIMM connectors, up to 1TB NVMe onboard SSD, exposes 8x PCIe lanes, and with an 8-core/16-thread Ryzen Embedded V2000 processor is well-suited to IoT edge devices that must perform parallel processing tasks.
Kontron COMe-bV26 specifications:
- AMD Embedded V2000 SoC
- AMD V2748 octa-core/16-thread processor @ 2.9 GHz / 4.15 GHz (Turbo) with 4MB L2 cache, 7CUs Radeon RX Vega 7 GPU @ 1.6 GHz; TDP: 35-54W
- AMD V2718 octa-core/16-thread processor @ 1.7 GHz / 4.15 GHz (Turbo) with 4MB L2 cache, 7CUs Radeon RX Vega 7 GPU @ 1.6 GHz; TDP: 10-25W
- AMD V2546 hexa-core/12-thread processor @ 3.0 GHz / 3.95 GHz (turbo) with 3 MB L2 cache, 6 CUs Radeon RX Vega 6 GPU @ 1.5 GHz; TDP: 35-54W
- AMD V2516 hexa-core/12-thread processor @ 2.1 GHz / 3.95 GHz (Turbo) with 3MB L2 cache, 6 CUs Radeon RX Vega 6 GPU @ 1.5 GHz; TDP: 10-25W
- System Memory – 2x DDR4 SO DIMM (up to 32 GByte per channel)
- Storage – Up to 1 TByte NVMe SSD (on request), one or two SPI BIOS flash wit AMI BIOS UEFI
- Networking – Intel i225 2.5GbE controller
- COM Express AB/CD connectors with
- Storage – 2x SATA III interfaces
- Display – 3x DisplayPort++, 18-24-bit LVDS
- Audio – Support for external HAD Codec on carrier
- USB – 4x USB 3.1 + 8x USB 2.0
- Serial – 2x serial interface (RX/TX only)
- PCI Express
- 4x PCIe 3.0 (up to 8 GT/s)
- 4x PCIe 2.0 (up to 5 GT/s) via PCIe switch
- 1x PEG x8
- Misc -ACPI PM support for critical shutdown
- Supply Voltage – 8.5 V – 20V wide range
- Dimensions – 95 x 125 mm (COM Express basic pin-out type 6)
- Temperature Range
- Commercial: 0 °C to +60 °C operating, -30 °C to +85 °C storage
- Extended: -25 °C to +75 °C operating, -30 °C to +85 °C storage
- Industrial: -40 °C to +85 °C operating, -40 °C to +85 °C non-operating
- Humidity – 93 % relative humidity at 40 °C, non-condensing (according to IEC 60068-2-78)
Kontron offers support for Windows 10 and Linux, the latter via the Yocto Project. Typical “IoT edge” applications for the module include factory automation, high-resolution medical imaging systems, advanced multi-display casino game applications, and multi-display digital signage installations.
If you wonder how COM Express Basic differs from COM Express Compact, it’s mostly a question of size and interfaces with four different COM Express types:
- Mini – 55 × 84 mm
- Compact – 95 × 95 mm
- Basic – 95 × 125 mm
- Extended – 110 × 155 mm
There’s no pricing nor availability information on the product page, where Kontron COMe-bV26 is just marked as “New”.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.