AMD Ryzen Embedded V2000 processors with up to eight Zen2 cores and faster Radeon graphics have been officially announced, and one of the first hardware platforms to take advantage of the new processor is ADLINK cExpress-AR COM Express Type 6 Compact computer-on-module suitable for demanding graphics-based applications such as medical ultrasound, image processing, 4K high-speed video encoding and streaming for broadcasting, embedded gaming, and infotainment.
ADLINK cExpress-AR specifications:
- AMD Ryzen Embedded V2516 hexa-core/12-thread processor @ 2.1 GHz / 3.95 GHz (Turbo) with 3MB L2 cache L2, 6 CUs Radeon RX Vega 6 GPU @ 1.5 GHz; TDP: 10-25 W
- AMD Ryzen Embedded V2546 hexa-core/12-thread processor @ 3.0 GHz / 3.95 GHz (turbo) with 3 MB L2 cache, 6 CUs Radeon RX Vega 6 GPU @ 1.5 GHz; TDP: 35-54 W
- AMD Ryzen Embedded V2718 octa-core/16-thread processor @ 1.7 GHz / 4.15 GHz (Turbo) with 4MB cache, 7CUs Radeon RX Vega 7 GPU @ 1.6 GHz; TDP: 10-25 W
- AMD Ryzen Embedded V2748 octa-core/16-thread processor @ 2.9 GHz / 4.15 GHz (Turbo) with 4MB cache, 7CUs Radeon RX Vega 7 GPU @ 1.6 GHz; TDP: 35-54 W
- System Memory – 2x SO-DIMM for up to 64GB DDR4 ECC/non-ECC (ECC on selected SKU TBD)
- On-module storage – 16MB or 32MB SPI flash for AMI EUFI BIOS with dual BIOS option
- On-module chips
- Optional eDP to LVDS controller
- Optional DP to VGA controller
- Networking – Intel Ethernet Controller i225 series (V/IT versions)
- USB – USB hub controller
- PCIe- Optional PCIe switch
- Security – TPM 2.0 (LPC based)
- Embedded Controller (See SEMA board controller section)
- COM Express board-to-board connectors
- Storage – 2x SATA III
- Display I/F for up to four independent 4K displays via DDI1-4 interfaces
- DisplayPort 1.4 up to 4096×2160 @ 60 Hz
- HDMI 2.1 up to 4096×2160 @ 60 Hz
- Single/dual-channel 18-/24-bit LVDS via eDP to LVDS IC up to 1920×1200 @ 60 Hz or optional 4-lane eDP 1.3 up to 4Kp60
- Optional Analog VGA (DP to VGA controller)
- Networking – 2.5GbE, Gigabit Ethernet
- USB – 4x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0
- PCIe – 6x PCIe x1 Gen3 (8x PCIe via optional PCIe switch) and 1x PCIe x8 Gen3 on PEG pins
- Serial – 2x UART ports with console redirection
- Other low-speed I/O – LPC bus, SMBus (system), I2C (user), 4x GPO, 4x GPI
- Debugging – 30-pin multipurpose flat cable connector for use with DB-30 x86 debug module providing BIOS POST code LED, EC access, SPI BIOS flashing, power test points, debug LEDs
- SEMA board controller – Voltage/current monitoring, power sequence debug support, AT/ATX mode control, logistics and forensic information, flat-panel control, general-purpose I2C, watchdog timer, fan control, and failsafe BIOS (dual BIOS by build option)
- Power Supply
- Stnadard input – ATX: 12V/5V or AT: 12V
- Wide input – ATX: 8.5-20V/5V or AT: 8.5-20V
- ACPI 5.0 compliant, Smart Battery support
- Dimensions – 95 x 95 mm (COM Express Rev. 3.0 Type 6 Compact form factor)
- Temperature Range
- Standard – 0°C to 60°C (Storage: -20°C to 80°C)
- Extreme Rugged – -45°C to +85°C
- Shock and Vibration
- IEC 60068-2-64 and IEC-60068-2-27
- MIL-STD-202F, Method 213B, Table 213-I, Condition A and Method 214A,
Table 214-I, Condition D
- HALT – Thermal Stress, Vibration Stress, Thermal Shock and Combined Test
ADLINK provides standard support for Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 64-bit, Windows 10 64-bit, Yocto project-based Linux 64-bit, as well as extended support for the latter with a Linux BSP.
Cooling is achieved via a choice of simple passive heatsinks when configured with 10W TDP, heat spreaders, or fansinks for higher TDP configurations, and ADLINK provides a COM Express Type 6 Starter Kit Plus with a standard carrier board, power supply, and accessories.
Compared to earlier Ryzen Embedded V1000 quad-core processors, the additional cores combined with AMD’s Zen 2 architecture result in a more than two-fold performance increase and double the performance-per-watt efficiency. In addition, the graphics core support DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.6 and ES 3.X, and OpenCL 2.1 APIs, as well as hardware encode/decode (including HEVC 10-bit), and it can also be leveraged for AI inferencing in edge computing applications.
ADLINK cExpress-AR COM Express computer-on-module will become available once AMD Ryzen Embedded V2000 processors become available in December 2020. More details may be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.