We’ve previously covered three variants of LilyGo T-Watch-2020 smartwatch based on ESP32 WiFi & Bluetooth SoC with TTGO T-Watch-2020 (V1) launched about a year ago, following by T-Watch-2020 V3 with a microphone for voice control, and T-Watch-2020 V2 with GPS.
The company has recently launched a new rounded smartwatch based on ESP32-PICO-D4 SiP with a twist as they did not design it themselves and instead partnered with “Paul’s 3D Things” for the Open-Smartwatch, and just handle manufacturing and production.
- Wireless module – LILYGO T-micro32 module based on ESP32-PICO-D4 module with dual-core ESP32 processor, 4MB FLASH, ceramic antenna or u.FL antenna connector
- Connectivity – Bluetooth 4.2 BR/EDR BLE and WiFi 4 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n
- Display – 1.3 inch circular LCD with 240×240 resolution
- USB – Micro USB for charging and programming
- Sensor – 3-axis BMA400 accelerator
- Debugging – USB to TTL via CH340E chip
- Misc -Reset button, 3x user buttons, DS323M RTC
- Power Supply
- 5V/1A power input via micro USB port
- 2x solder pads for the battery
- Battery charging and discharging protection chip (MCP73831)
- Typical battery life should probably be around one day.
A GPS Edition of the watch is also in the works, with a Quectel L96 GPS module, 4MB RAM, and a microSD card slot. Use cases range from people interested in making their own smartwatch, STEM education, or design a wearable IoT device.
If you are interested in the device, you can purchase the watch on Aliexpress for about $24 plus shipping. It does not come with a case, wristband nor battery, so you may have to purchase or print those separately. There’s a round 450 mAh battery sold for $5 on aliexpress. You may also want to watch the video below showing how to solder the battery.
If you like the idea of owning an open-source hardware ESP32 smartwatch but soldering and 3D printing are not your thing, a fully assembled Open-Smartwatch should be sold in the future.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
4 Replies to “LilyGo sells Open-Smartwatch open-source hardware ESP32 watch by “Paul’s 3D Things””
Nice, but too expensive compared to LILYGO T-WATCH-2020 V3 (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002053650442.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.10.5b8e7237jI5Aw2) which offers much more features…
And if you need a mini keyboard for your watch
Do you have any suggest cover for this board?
Any ideas how one could make a waterproof case?