Espressif Systems has revealed another ESP32 variant, but this time it’s not an SoC, but a 7x7mm system-in-package (SIP) that comes ESP32 dual core processor, a 4MB SPI flash, a crystal oscillator and various passive components, so that you don’t need to include those in your design, and create an ultra-compact PCB for wearables and other space-constrained applications.
ESP32-PICO-D4 SiP specifications:
- SoC – ESP32 with two Tensilica LX6 cores, 448 KB ROM, 520 KB SRAM (inc. 8KB RTC memory), 1kbit eFuse
- On-module Flash – 4MB SPI flash
- WiFi – 802.11 b/g/n/e/i (802.11n up to 150 Mbps)
- Bluetooth – Bluetooth V4.2 BR/EDR and BLE specification; ; class-1, class-2 and class-3 transmitter; Audio: CVSD and SBC
- SIP Interfaces
- SD card, UART, SPI, SDIO, LED PWM, Motor PWM, I2S, I2C, IR
- GPIO, capacitive touch sensor, ADC, DAC, LNA pre-amplifier
- Sensors – On-chip Hall sensor & temperature sensor
- Clock – On-module 40 MHz crystal
- Power supply – 2.3 ~ 3.6V
- Operating current – Average: 80 mA
- Temperature range – -40°C ~ 85°C
- Package dimensions – 7.0±0.1 mm x 7.0±0.1 mm x 0.94±0.1 mm
I understand ESP32 supports up to 16MB flash, so future ESP32-PICO-D16 SIP might be possible too. The second schematics in the datasheet shows what a basic board with ESP32-PICO SIP looks like.
The company explains the SiP is particularly suited for any space-limited or battery-operated applications, such as wearable electronics, medical equipment, sensors and other IoT products. Beside the datasheet, there’s currently very little information about ESP32-PICO-D4 on the web, so we’ll have to wait to see what comes out of it.
[Update: Photo of module with ESP32-PICO-D4
Via ESP32net Tweet
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
2 Replies to “ESP32-PICO-D4 System-in-Package Combines ESP32, 4MB SPI Flash, a Crystal Oscillator, and Passive Components”
Added photo of module with ESP32-PICO-D4-SIP
ESP32-PICO-D4 for sale @ http://www.electrodragon.com/product/esp32-pico-d4-wifibluetooth-iot-ic/