ZPE Systems Nodegrid Mini SR is a compact cloud-orchestrated gateway designed for the secure management of Internet of Things (IoT) and Operational Technology (OT) infrastructures.
Power by a dual-core Intel processor, the Linux-based device is equipped with 4GB RAM, a 16GB encrypted storage device, and whose hardware looks to be very similar to the Compulab Fitlet2 mini PC with two Gigabit Ethernet ports, four USB 3.0/2.0 ports, and optional support for WiFi 6 and 4G LTE.
ZPE Nodegrid mini SR specifications:
- SoC – Unnamed Intel x86 64-bit dual-core processor, most likely Intel Atom x5-E3930 dual-core Apollo Lake processor (upgrades can be provided)
- System Memory – 4GB DDR3
- Storage – 16 GB Self Encrypted Disk (SED), MicroSD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 ports with PoE
- Optional 802.11ax WiFi 6 and Bluetooth with two external antennas
- Optional 4G LTE cellular connectivity with a single SIM card slot, two external antennas for out-of-band access and failover operation
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 ports, 2x USB 2.0 ports for sensors
- OOB Managed Power Devices – Vendor-neutral PDU support (IP and RS-232 serial via USB)
- Managed IPMI Devices – OpenBMC, HP iLO, Dell iDRAC, Supermicro/Quanta IPMI, IPMI 2.0 compatible devices, Cisco CIMC/UCS, IBM IMM, Oracle ILOM, EMC/NetApp Storage IPMI
- Managed Devices – Serial devices, USB devices, Network devices, PDU, and IPMI devices
- BIOS protection, TPM 2.0, UEFI secure boot, signed OS, geofencing
- X.509 SSH certificate support, 4096-bit encryption keys
- Selectable cryptographic protocols for SSH OpenSSL3 & HTTPS (TLSv1.3, TLSv1.2, TLSv1.1)
- Selectable cipher suite levels: high, medium, low, custom
- IPsec, WireGuard, OpenSSL VPN with support for multi-sites
- Firewall: IP packet & security filtering, IP forwarding support
- Misc – Kensington Lock, Power Plug Twist Lock, mechanical disabling of power button
- Power Supply – 7-20 VDC power input via 5.5/2.5mm DC jack (12V/3A power supply included)
- Power Consumption – 5W to 15W typical
- Dimensions – 112 x 84 x 34 mm
- Weight – 350 grams
- Temperature range & humidity
- Operation: 0 to 45°C; extended option: -20 to 70° C; 5-95% RH, non-cond.
- Storage: -40 to 85°C, 10-90% RH, non-cond.
- Shock and Vibration
- MIL-STD-810G compliant
- Vibration test: IEC TR 60721-4-7:2001+A1:03, Class 7M1, test method IEC 60068-2-64 (up to 2 KHz , 3 axis)
- Shock test: IEC TR 60721-4-7:2001+A1:03, Class 7M1, test method IEC 60068-2-27 (15g , 6 directions)
ZPE Nodegrid mini SR supports both DIN Rail and VESA Wall mount options. It runs the Linux-based Nodegrid OS 64-bit, connect to the ZPE Cloud, and can be controlled through a Web GUI management portal, a web console, a Command Line Interface (CLI), the Linux root shell, SNMP, and RESTful API. The solution also supports Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP) via LAN/DHCP, WAN/ZPE Cloud, as well as USB for configuration & firmware updates.
The gateway is designed for Managed Service Providers (MSP) and Managed Security Services Providers (MSSP) who can use the device for out-of-band edge rack management with environmental sensor support, as a secure IoT/OT gateway with simple cloud orchestration, a secure work-from-anywhere gateway (home, car, temp office), a SCADA industrial OT/IoT zero-trust, pico segmentation gateway, and for medical and industrial device cloaking to prevent detection and exploitation, among other use cases.
Thanks to TLS for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.