We’ve previously covered the EdgeBox-RPi4 industrial controller powered by a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 and plenty of I/Os such as RS485, RS232, digital inputs and outputs, and connectivity options such as Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi 5, Bluetooth 5, and 4G LTE.
But if you don’t quite need the power of a Linux controller, the EdgeBox-ESP-100 industrial edge controller based on an ESP32-S3 dual-core WiFi and Bluetooth microcontroller and offering a similar set of features, albeit with twists, may be an interesting option.
- Microcontroller – Espressif Systems ESP32-S3 dual-core Tensilica LX7 microcontroller @ 240 MHz with AI vector instructions, 512KB RAM
- Memory – 8MB PSRAM
- Storage – 16MB Flash
- Network connectivity
- 10/100M Ethernet RJ45 port
- 2.4 GHz WiFi 4 and Bluetooth 5.0 LE via ESP32-S3
- 4G LTE cellular via SIMCom A7670G LTE Cat 1 module
- Optional support for LoRa (replaces the A7670G module)
- Serial & I/Os via terminal blocks
- 1x RS485 isolated interface
- 1x CAN Bus (isolated)
- 4x isolated digital inputs; DC input voltage: 24V
- 6x isolated digital outputs; 24V recommended
- 4x isolated analog input; input: 0 ~ 20 mA default, 0-10V optional
- 2x isolated analog outputs; output: 0 ~ 5 V
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 Type-A port
- Misc – RTC, ATECC608A secure element
- Power Supply – 10.8 ~ 36 V
- Dimensions – TBD
- Temperature range – -20 to +60°C
- Certifications – RoHS, CE, FCC, UKCA
The EdgeBox-ESP-100 can be programmed with the ESP-IDF framework, but Seeed Studio is also working on support for IEC 61131-3 compliant programs namely Codesys expected in Q2 2023, and the free-to-use and open-source OpenPLC PLC suite. Documentation is currently limited to a product brief and a user manual describing the hardware both shared via the shopping page (see below).
Typical applications include SCADA, industrial controllers, PID control loops, logic sequencing control, and industrial gateways. While the EdgeBox-ESP100 looks similar to the EdgeBox-RPi4, there are notable differences as illustrated in the table below which also features the EdgeLogix-RPI-1000 with an integrated touchscreen display and additional I/Os.
The EdgeBox-ESP-100 ESP32-S3 industrial edge controller can be purchased on Seeed Studio for $179 plus shipping.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.