Orbbec Femto Mega is a programmable multi-mode 3D depth and RGB camera based on NVIDIA Jetson Nano system-on-module and based on Microsoft ToF technology found in Hololens and Azure Kinect DevKit.
As an upgrade of the earlier Orbbec Femto, the camera is equipped with a 1MP depth camera with a 120 degrees field of view and a range of 0.25m to 5.5m as well as a 4K RGB camera, and enables real-time streaming of processed images over Ethernet or USB.
Orbbec Femto Mega specifications:
- SoM – NVIDIA Jetson Nano system-on-module
- 1MP depth camera
- Precision: ≤17mm
- Accuracy: < 11 mm + 0.1% distance
- NFoV unbinned & binned：H 75°V 65°
- WFoV unbinned & binned：H 120°V 120°
- Resolutions & framerates
- NFoV unbinned: 640×576 @ 5/15/25/30fps
- NFoV binned: 320×288 @ 5/15/25/30fps
- WFoV unbinned: 1024×1024 @ 5/15fps
- NFoV binned: 512×512 @ 5/15/25/30fps
- 4K RGB camera
- FOV – H: 80°, V: 51°b D: 89°±2°
- Resolutions & framerates with MJPEG/YUY2/H.264/H.265 encoding
- 3840×2160 @ 5/15/25fps
- 2560×1440 @ 5/15/25fps
- 1920×1080 @ 5/15/25/30fps
- 1280×720 @ 5/15/25/30fps
- 1280×960 @ 5/15/25/30fps
- 1MP depth camera
- Sensor – 6 DOF IMU sensor
- Host interfaces – USB 3.0 Type-C, Ethernet, or 8-pin connector
- Power Supply – 5V/3A via USB Type-C port or PoE
- Power Consumption (average) – DC: 10W; PoE: 14W
- Temperature Range – 0 – 40°C
- Certifications – Class 1, FCC, RoHS 2.0, CE
The camera works with hosts, which can be servers or the cloud, running Windows or Linux, and is supported by the Orbbec SDK. The NVIDIA Jetson Nano runs advanced depth vision algorithms to convert raw data to precise depth images, and eliminates the need for an external PC or compute device on-site.
Jon Yee, Depth PM Director, Microsoft says “Orbbec’s Femto Mega extends the use of Microsoft’s depth technology, used in Hololens and Azure Kinect DevKit, to a broad range of industrial applications” and Dr. Suraj Nair, CTO, Speedcargo Technologies, Singapore has been trialing the camera for cargo flight capacity optimization at international airports replacing larger and more expensive systems based on Microsoft Azure Kinect. Besides logistics operations, the Femto Mega camera is expected to be used in robotics, manufacturing, retail, healthcare, and fitness solutions.
The Orbbec Femto Mega camera is available now, but we were told pricing can be provided upon request from customers. More details can be found on the product page, and Orbbec is also demonstrating the Femto Mega and other new 3D camera products at CES 2023, notably the Gemini 2 active stereo IR camera with a range of up to 10 meters, and the Astra 2 structured light cameras with up to 2MP depth resolution.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.