Home > Android, Rockchip RK30xx > How to Root UG802 Rockchip RK3066 mini PC

How to Root UG802 Rockchip RK3066 mini PC

If you follow this blog (and others), you should already know there’s a new dual core Cortex A9 Android mini PC in town based on Rockchip RK3066. Deadhp1, a reader of this blog, bought one and left a short review about the device, including his first impressions and an Antutu benchmark (6801). He also noticed that the device is not rooted by default, and followed the instructions for Window N90 II tablet (source: Slatedroid) to root the device:

1. Download Moborobo
  2. Download a modified version of SuperOneClick – Short Fuse (Originally found in Slatedroid link above).
  3. Install Moborobo and start the program
  4. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your mini PC(Settings –> Developer Options)
  5. Connect your UG802 mini PC (using the microUSB port) to your PC
  6. Wait for Moborobo to detect the device
  7. Extract the contents of SuperOneClick
  8. Run SuperOneClick.exe
  9. Click on Root
  10. It will says the device is already rooted, click “Yes” to proceed anyway.
  11. Enjoy!

I assume those instructions should work for most (all?) RK3066 devices.

1. R.B
    August 28th, 2012 at 17:16 | #1

Any chance to see ubuntu on this device?

2. August 28th, 2012 at 17:25 | #2

@R.B
    Maybe, but there’s no source code right now, so it could prove difficult.

Some Android stuff and tools are available here: https://github.com/rk3066

3. Turvy
    September 3rd, 2012 at 18:23 | #3

Any chance of seeing Windows 8 running on it? It looks good on the mini u30gt (Tablet).

4. Jack
    September 12th, 2012 at 17:33 | #4

I downloaded Moborobo and installed it. USB Debugging turned on. Plugged in UG802 through mini usb port. Moborobo does not pick it up. How do you get your pc to detect the device? Drivers?

5. rayjr13
    September 12th, 2012 at 23:21 | #5

@Jack

Isn’t “micro” usb port for power only (what I was told by w2comp)? did you try to connect through full size usb to pc,?

6. deadhp1
    September 13th, 2012 at 01:37 | #6

Moborobo is what installs the drivers. You can try to refresh the scan, or try unplugging the ug802 and plugging it into another usb port.

I just installed moborobo on another laptop to check. What I did was:

Installed moborobo onto laptop. Shutdown moborobo.
    Connected the ug802 to hdmi tv and plugged in my wireless keyboard.
    Plugged micro usb into ug802, and other side into laptop.
    When ug802 booted I went into stock android settings and enabled usb debugging.
    Then went into the other Settings app(the simple one provided by the stock home screen)
    Went to Advance Setting and clicked on USB Settings.
    That connected to my laptop then I started Moborobo and it detected and installed drivers for the ug802.
    It detects the device as rk30sdk.

It’s pretty straight forward. Hope that helped.

7. Jonas
    September 14th, 2012 at 20:32 | #7

It aint detecting nuttin for me. I plugged in the device to my PC via Micro USB > USB.
    Nowt being picked up. Whatamidoingwrong?

8. Jonas
    September 14th, 2012 at 21:37 | #8

Got it… Have to Click on “USB” in settings, then Click “Connect to PC”

9. JoeC
    September 15th, 2012 at 02:28 | #9

I have rooted and want to install Netflix but it says that it is not available in my country? Does anyone know what I have to do so it knows I am in the USA?

10. deadhp1
    September 15th, 2012 at 13:43 | #10

@JoeC
    Can you see any paid apps at all?
    The problem lies in framework.jar. If a 3g dongle isn’t plugged in the ug802 is hardcoded to the carrier 46002 aka China Mobile.
    You can change this by following the instructions on my blog.
    Just search google for “UG802 play store fix mindbuntu” to find it.
    I also posted it in the comments sections of Dual Core Rockchip RK3066 mini PC Now Available for $88.88
    on this site, I think page #8.

11. Matt
    September 22nd, 2012 at 08:46 | #11

What will rooting this device allow you to do? does it restore factory settings and delete all your apps? I just wanted to root so I could take screen caps and all the apps in the play store require rooting as far as I know.

12. DMHG
    September 22nd, 2012 at 18:32 | #12

Thanks for the instructions. It took a while but it finally worked. I recommend rooting upon first receiving the device — don’t do what I did and install a bunch of stuff as it seemed to interfere with moborobo recognising the device. Deadhp1’s comment was really helpful – thanks.

13. Ken Langston
    September 27th, 2012 at 01:31 | #13

Moborobo hijacked my google search results to redirect them after I installed it.

14. deadhp1
    September 27th, 2012 at 22:26 | #14

I have now made several rooted stock firmware update.img’s for the UG802.
    They can be found in the ug802 firmware section at my forum: http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/
    You can apply update.img with an sd card without the need to install moborobo.
    (sd card update will not replace the kernel however) for that you need to use Rockchip Batch Tools v1.5

I still haven’t had any problems with moborobo myself.

15. Mazarin07
    November 17th, 2012 at 03:37 | #15

Please clearly specify how to connect the mini Android PC to the PC: one must use the normal USB or the microUSB port of the Android mini PC?

16. Mazarin07
    November 17th, 2012 at 03:59 | #16

@deadhp1
    Now it worked, thanks.
    The main point is that you have to allow USB each time.

17. Mazarin07
    November 17th, 2012 at 03:59 | #17

By the way: the microUSB port is the one that must be connected to the PC.

18. November 17th, 2012 at 08:55 | #18

@Mazarin07
    Thanks for the feedback, I’ve updated the post mentioning the microUSB port.

19. FishHead
    January 1st, 2013 at 14:57 | #19

I am struggling with this. I have CortexA9 RK3066 for Android 4.1 and cannot get software to see the device. Thought I try WiFi and install Mobo daemon but PlayStore says device is incompatible. Does the HDMI need to be plugged in when attaching microUSB?

20. January 1st, 2013 at 15:30 | #20

@FishHead
    You don’t need to connect HDMI to root the device. None of the instructions above require to install apps from the Play Store.

21. FishHead
    January 1st, 2013 at 16:14 | #21

MoBo Software lets you connect by USB or WiFi. Since I had no luck with USB that is why I was trying the wiFi method and thus trying to install mobo daemon from Play Store

Anyway turns out it I think it is a UG007 and I think you have to connect micro usb to power it and then standard USB to connect it but I do not have a standard USB cable (have crap loads of USB it Micro or Mini but no USB to USB) will try tomorrow.

22. FishHead
    January 1st, 2013 at 16:17 | #22

FishHead :
    Anyway turns out it I think it is a UG007 and I think you have to connect micro usb to power it and then standard USB to connect it but I do not have a standard USB cable (have crap loads of USB to Micro or Mini but no USB to USB) will try tomorrow.

23. Bimme
    January 9th, 2013 at 05:38 | #23

I had to have the HDMI connected to be able to enable USB connect to PC, which seemed to reset at reboot.
    SuperOneClick hanged for a long time, so I disconnected. Now it wont boot anymore. Bricked?
    Can you restore it somehow using Odin or similar?
    (The problem is that it is a no brand device, so I don’t know which rom to use, but it is a RK3066 device)

24. FishHead
    January 26th, 2013 at 09:06 | #24

@Bimme
    Yep had to connect HDMI so that I could enable USB to connect to the PC. It resets to off each time you power up. As soon as I enabled USB to connect to PC, Moborobo saw the device and tried to install a driver, It gets to 99% then goes no further. Appreciate if anyone has some constructive advice, just want to be able to install TAP/TUN modules so I can use VPN.

25. navqui
    January 30th, 2013 at 04:48 | #25

Last week I received a ug802+ elite and I have tried to root it to install Droidmote server, but I have not been able to. I have followed the step to root it, and after executing SuperOneClick the result satisfactory, the messages was that the device was rooted. Then I tried to installed the droidmote server, but I wasn’t able to. So, I used a root tester app and it said that I don’t have root access. All things seemed to work properly, but not.
    Please any suggestion. Many thansk.

26. That Guy
    February 2nd, 2013 at 11:57 | #26

Superoneclick says the root install completes, but running the ‘su’ command from the terminal prompt returns a ‘permission denied’ response. Superoneclick does fail to create the ‘/system/xbin’ directory. Maybe this is a new directory?

27. April 6th, 2013 at 21:39 | #27

hey i am having a problem, i installed the dab drivers for the AMPE A78 tablet as there are no drivers at all for it yet! and it regonized it successfully.. now when i load super one click and click root , it starts but hangs on step 7! what do i do from now? its says waiting for device, it shouldn’t because the pc recognises it as A78 as it should

Thanks all!

28. April 6th, 2013 at 22:06 | #28

it seams that the adb driver is not good for the ampe a78 where can i get its drivers?

29. Josef
    April 9th, 2013 at 06:18 | #29

any one please? i need help to root the device thanks! 🙂

30. April 9th, 2013 at 09:37 | #30

@Josef
    Moborobo should try to install the drivers. If AMPE 78 is a new RK3066 tablet, the version above may be to old, and you may have to find a new version of moborobo.

31. Josef
    April 10th, 2013 at 03:00 | #31

Where can i get it?

32. Josef
    April 10th, 2013 at 03:06 | #32

the thing is that Moborobo regonizes it as A78 and it gives the right versionog android and all that crap.. so i assume its intstalled correctly , how ever when i view it in the devicemanager it says android phone

33. Fernando
    April 27th, 2013 at 03:12 | #33

Can I root a Rockchip Rk30sdk with this process?? Is it the same as rk3066?? I’ve been looking all over the web but is all confusing I ony find rk3066 but no Rk30sdk; I have a mk809 android mini stick from ebay I don’t know if it’s a different model or something….???

34. April 27th, 2013 at 10:17 | #34

@Fernando
    rk30sdk is the SDK for RK3066 processor, and MK809 is indeed based on RK3066, so the instructions above should work.

35. Fernando
    April 28th, 2013 at 13:08 | #35

Does it works for Windows 8? I’m trying but Moborobo doesn’t detect anything; I even installed the daemon app to try with wifi, it connect but it doesn’t download any driver…???

36. Fernando
    April 28th, 2013 at 13:19 | #36

I tried different ports; run as administrator in compatibility mode for vista, win7 etc; uninstall/installed/update moborobo; enable USB debugging; connect to PC and nothing…?? It only powers up the device when I connect to pc but after that nothing else… I also have an old android phone and same thing… only power/charging, it doesn’t connect.

37. April 28th, 2013 at 14:58 | #37

@Fernando
    I don’t have any computer/device running Windows 8. You may have to find a newer version for Moborobo, maybe it will have the latest adb drivers.

38. Josef
    April 28th, 2013 at 19:18 | #38

@fernando,

you cannot use them with win8 for now, because there are no adb drivers compatible , how ever you can try to install the adb drivers my going yo update driver search the directory that the adb drivers are in, that worked for me but its only the adb generic driver noting more

39. Fernando
    May 1st, 2013 at 22:38 | #39

I think that might had done the trick after all. It looks like I was using a “power only” micro usb cable because I tried on an older windows 7 laptop and got the same results (nothing); so I got a new sync/charger micro usb and It recognize it immediately; I started moborobo and it looks like it installed the drivers (I clicked on those red “install this driver anyways” messages) but when I ran “Superoneclick” at some point showed “mkdir failed for /system/xbin file exists”, it kept going and said that I had successfully rooted the device but without any restart or any other confirmation prompts or anything, it also installed the superuser apk but it was definitely NOT rooted, no root apps worked and “root checker” said the device was not rooted. At some point I tried the “update driver” from “device manager” by browsing a ADB drivers folder (named PLT-7035 ADB Drivers – 32 bit) that I’ve downloaded from another source but I don’t remember if it said “driver is up to date” or if it actually had updated the driver with THAT specific folder; anyways I tried “superoneclick” once again and same results no root; so finally I ran a batch file that I got from another source (TPSarky-VonDroid-Root new) with almost identical process as this one and it worked; the device restarted right away, followed on screen instructions/restarted twice and got root. I’ve restarted/shut down device and still working/root so I hope it stays that way.

40. Pozzo
    June 24th, 2013 at 20:20 | #40

Big thanks man, it work so well.

41. Herchi
    September 14th, 2013 at 02:52 | #41

I see superuser but its not rooted. “root checker” say “not rooted”

42. Herchi