Based in March, I wrote about Xilinx Zynq-7000 Extensible Processing Platform (EPP), a SoC comprises of a Dual Cortex A9 and an FPGA, as well as the corresponding development boards and kits:
- Xilinx Zynq-7000 EPP ZC702 Evaluation Kit based on Zynq-7020 with all the basic components (595 USD).
- Xilinx Zynq-7000 EPP Video Kit based on Zynq-7020 with all necessary hardware, software and IP components for the development of custom video applications (1195 USD).
- Zynq-7000 EPP ZedBoard, a low cost development board for the developers community.
At the time, the first 2 (expensive) boards were available, but there was little information about the Zedboard.
But yesterday evening, I noticed Zedboard website had a lot more information and we now know details about the board and it is even possible to purchase it.
Here are the Zedboard specifications:
- Processor – Xilinx Zynq-7020 Dual ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore @ 677 MHz
- 512 MB DDR3 memory (1066 Mbps)
- 256 Mb Quad SPI Flash
- Full size SD/MMC card cage (4 GB SD Card Included)
- 10/100/1000 Ethernet
- USB OTG (Device/Host/OTG)
- USB UART
- FMC (Low Pin Count)
- 5x Pmod headers (2×6)
- HDMI output (1080p60 + audio)
- VGA connector
- 128 x 32 OLED
- 9x User LEDs
- User Inputs
- 8x Slide switches
- 7x Push button switches
- 24-bit stereo audio CODEC
- Stereo line in/out
- Microphone input
- Xilinx XADC header
- Supports 4 analog inputs
- 2 Differential / 4 Single-ended
- On-board USB JTAG programming port
- ARM Debug Access Port (DAP)
- Power – 12V DC input @ 3.0 A (Max)
- Dimensions – 160 mm x 135 mm (Approx)
- Certification – CE and RoHS certified
The software and tools are not available on the website and some documentation is still missing.
However, I found out on their forum that you could get the Linux source code from Xilinx git repository http://git.xilinx.com/?p=linux-xlnx.git;a=summary and the instructions to build it are also available.
Further information will be available in the months ahead, such as standard and community projects (July) and tutorials (August). Some hardware files such as schematics, BoM and mechanical drawings are already available.
The Zedboard kit includes:
- Avnet ZedBoard 7020 baseboard
- 12 V AC/DC power supply
- 4 GB SD Card
- Micro-USB cable
- USB Adapter: Male Micro-B to Female Standard-A
- Getting Started Guide
- ISE WebPACK with device-locked ChipScope license
The Zedboard will be shipping at the end of July/beginning of August, but you can (pre-)order now for 395 USD via Avnet or 299 USD via Digilent (Students/Academic use only). Later on, reference designs and accessories will be available for the platform.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|