Xibo has just announced the release of Xibo 1.4.0 (codename: “Brorsen”). Contrary to version 1.3.0 which was a development release, Xibo 1.4.0 is a stable release and you should consider updating your current installations if you want to take advantage of some of the 27 new features and/or 108 bug fixes. This version replaces the previous stable version (1.2.2) released 18 months ago.
If you are not familiar with Xibo, it is an open source Client/Server digital signage framework that can run in Windows (.NET implementation) and Linux (Client: Python, Server: LAMP). For some more details, you can read my introduction to Xibo and/or a “getting started” tutorial I wrote some time ago.
- Significant improvements to permissions – View, Edit and Delete permissions can now be set on the following items:
- Library Media
- Regions in Layouts
- Media on Region Timelines
- Display Groups
- A new timeline editing window – Improvements have been made to:
- Make the region time line more consistent
- Simplify re-ordering the items in the timeline
- Make it easier to add new items from the library
- To make the region preview reflect the client more closely
- .NET Client Improvements:
- Reduced “lag” and “display jitter” when the client is connecting to the Server
- Concurrent file downloads
- Clearing up old and unused files in the library
- Information window showing client status, library status and log information
- Replacing the splash screen
- Features for service providers – Ability to set size and bandwidth limit per user
- Wake On LAN
- Layout Designer Jump List
- User Management – Several improvements have been made to user password management:
- Users can change their passwords without having access to the user administration page
- Administrators can set a regular expression to test password complexity
- Administrators can override users passwords in a more intuitive way
- Data Sets – DataSets are a new Xibo feature to design and display tabular data in a region on a layout. This can be useful for displaying lists such as menus and schedules.
- Schedule Now
- Execute Shell Commands
The list of bug fixes (108 bugs) since the last stable release is available on launchpad.
If you would like to install Xibo 1.4.0 or upgrade your existing installation, you may download it from https://launchpad.net/xibo/1.4/1.4.0.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|