Texas Instruments has just announced the Tiva ARM MCU platform, and specifically the Tiva C Series TM4C123x ARM Cortex-M4 MCUs, which are the first Cortex-M MCUs to be built on 65 nanometer flash process technology. The Tiva C Series TM4C123x MCUs, formerly known as Stellaris LM4F MCUs, are available now and target home, building and industrial automation.
Key features and benefits of Tiva C Series MCUs:
- MCU Core – ARM Cortex-M4 floating-point core, operating at up to 80 MHz.
- Mixed-signal applications with high-performance analog integration – 2×12-bit ADC and 3 comparators.12-bit ADC accuracy is achievable at the full 1 MSPS rating without any hardware averaging.
- On-chip connectivity options – USB (host, device and On-The-Go), UARTs, I2C, SSI/SPI, CAN, etc..
- Non-volatile storage of user interface or configuration parameters to reduce system cost – Thanks to integrated EEPROM.
- Low power – Standby currents as low as 1.6 uA.
- Large choice of MCU RAM and storage sizes – Up to 256KB flash and 32KB SRAM.
On the software side, TI-RTOS, a real-time operating system, is available to all TI MCUS, and for applications that do not need an operating system, TivaWare for C Series MCUs is a free toolkit allowing “no OS” software development. Support is available through FAE or via E2E online community. As with its other MCUs, Texas Instruments also provides a low cost evaluation kit.
EK-TM4C132G LaunchPad includes:
- A TM4C123G LaunchPad Evaluation board with TM4C123GH6PM MCU (256KB Flash / 32KB SRAM)
- On-board In-Circuit Debug Interface (ICDI)
- USB Micro-B plug to USB-A plug cable
- Preloaded RGB quickstart application
- ReadMe First quick-start guide
The board is compatible with TI’s BoosterPacks should you need to extend the capabilities of the board.
The Tiva C Series TM4C123x MCUs are available now and price starts at 2.15 USD in 10K quantities. The LaunchPad kit (EK-TM4C123GXL) can be purchased on TI e-Store for $12.99 now, but you’ll need to wait 8 to 10 weeks before delivery. TI also announced Tiva C Series devices with Ethernet capabilities will be available in in the near future. Further information can be found in Tiva C Series page.