Many people got interested in my post about MSI J1800i Motherboard because it was one of the first motherboard based on a low power Intel Bay Trail-D processor, namely Celeron J1800 dual core processor with 10W TDP, and the $60 price tag. However, I and others had doubt about the price, because Intel listed Celeron J1800 recommended price at $72, and that’s just the price for the CPU. I still can’t find site selling MSI J1800i in US dollars, although I could find for 66.90 GBP and 69.99 Euros on some European websites. You can really convert it into US dollars using the current exchange rate, as you have to take into account VAT and taxes. But today Fanless Tech has reported about two new motherboards based on Celeron J1800: Gigabyte J1800N-D2H, and BIOSTAR J1800NH. I could not find price for the Gigabyte motherboard, but BIOSTAR J1800NH is sold for $55.99 by Directron, an online store based in Houston, Texas in the US, and I’m hopeful it will eventually show in many other shops with similar prices, plus whatever taxes applies to your country.
- SoC – Intel Celeron J1800 dual core @ 2.41 with integrated Intel HD graphics
- System Memory – 1x DDR3L 1066/1333 SO-DIMM slots (Up to 8GB)
- Storage – 2x SATA II 3Gbps ports
- Video Output – HDMI, and VGA
- Connectivity – 1x Gigabit Ethernet (Realtek RTL8111G)
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 host ports, 4x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x USB 2.0 header
- Expansion – single PCIe Express x1 slot
- Audio – Speaker, audio in and audio out jacks
- Misc – PS/2 mouse and keyboard connectors
- Dimensions – 17cm x 17cm (Mini ITX Form Factor )
You’ll need to add RAM, storage, and a (fanless) mini ITX case, as well as install your favorite OS. A complete system with 4GB memory, a 1TB hard drive and a fanless mini-ITX enclosure with PSU should cost around $250.
If you don’t like the SO-DIMM memory slot used in MSI and BIOSTAR moptherboard, the Gigabyte one makes use of DIMM sockets instead.
The price in Directron does not include shipping, but estimating shipping to San Jose, just added $7.89 for UPS ground service for a total of $63.88. The company also ships to other countries in North America, but as I said above low cost low power motherboard based on Intel Bay Trail processors should soon be available worldwide.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.