With Arndale Octa already shipping, and the upcoming ODROID-XU2, we already have two low cost boards with Samsung Exynos 5420 big.LITTLE processor for less than $200. But if you want a more complete kit, HOWCHIP 5420-DVK with a 4.65″ OLED display and capacitive touchscreen, 2GB RAM, 4GB eMMC, and various connectors, could be an option. There’s also a Lite version without the OLED display.
- SoC – Samsung Exynos 5420 Octa with 4x ARM Cortex A15, and 4x ARM Cortex A7 in big.LITTLE configuration, with Mali-T628 GPU.
- System Memory – 2GB LPDDR3 (POP with CPU)
- Storage – 4GB eMMC 4GB on board, SD card Slot
- Video Output
- HDMI type A connector
- MIPI DSI header up to 1980×1080
- eDP (Embedded Display Port) header up to 2560×1600
- Display – 4.65″ OLED (1280×720) with touch screen, connected to MIPI DSI interface.
- Audio I/O – 3.5mm headphone jack/Line-out, MIC input header pin, HDMI
- Camera – 2x MIPI CSI
- Connectivity – 10/100Mbps Ethernet
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 Host/Device ports (A type and Micro-B Type), micro USB 2.0 Host port
- Debugging – JTAG, Serial
- Expansions – Header with access to GPIOs, I2C, UART, SPI, HSIC, ADC, etc…
- Power Supply – 5V/5A Power
- CPU module – 40mm x 56mm
- Baseboard – 195mm x 150mm
The company provides binaries and source code for u-boot 2010.12, Linux kernel 3.0.x, and Android 4.2.x Jelly Bean. The reference schematics will also be provided.
HOWCHIP 5420-DVK includes the following items:
- Exynos 5420 CPU Board
- 5420-DVB-BASE Baseboard
- 4.65″ OLED display with touchscreen
- WiFi USB dongle
- 5V/5A Power Adaptor
- Serial Cable
- USB 3.0 and 2.0 Cables
HOWCHIP 5420-DVK Lite kit is exactly the same minus the OLED display.
The full kit will sell for $499, the Lite version for $299. The board is now ready for production, and shipment is scheduled by late June. There’s no pre-order option on the product page, but the company asks people who intend to purchase to contact them via email before the 15th of May.
On a separate note, I’ve also noticed HOWCHIP 5420-EMM, an eMMC 5.0 Test/Evaluation platform also powered by Exynos 5420 features an eMMC socket, and with specs very similar to 5420-DVK Lite. Pricing and availability are not available for this board.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|