Radxa Rock 2 is an upcoming development board based on Rockchip RK3288 quad core Cortex A12/A17 processor, which will run Android, and I would expect it to have better support for Linux desktop distributions than the original Radxa Rock board thanks to the current work done by Rockchip and Google on Chromium OS, which could bring 2D/3D graphics, and hardware video decoding to the platform. The board is not available for purchase yet, but pictures have been published, and specifications released.
So the new board is comprised of a baseboard and a system-on-module (SoM), which should help Radxa’s customers design their own products, while using Radxa SoM, and doing early development on Radxa Rock 2 board.
Radxa SoM specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3288 quad core ARM Cortex-A17 [email protected] with ARM Mali-T764 GPU with support for OpenGL ES1.1/2.0/3.0, OpenCL 1.1, DirectX 11
- System memory – 2GB (4GB optional), 64bit [email protected]
- Storage – 16GB eMMC on board
- Connectivity – Ethernet PHY (Realtek)
- Connector – 314-pin MXM edge connector (TBC)
- Dimensions – N/A
This module is connected to a baseboard with the following specifications:
- External Storage – microSD slot up to 128GB, SATA 2.0 up to 4TB connected via USB 2.0 to SATA bridge
- Video Output
- Audio – HDMI, 3.5mm headphone jack, built-in microphone
- 2x 100/1000M Ethernet
- Dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0 (AP6335 module) + external antenna
- Built-in 3G module + SIM Card
- Camera – 24-pin MIPI CSI connector
- USB – 2x USB host ports, 1x micro USB OTG port
- Expansions Headers – Two 2×20-pin headers for IOs, various other unmarked connectors
- Debugging – 4-pin UART header for console
- Misc – Recovery, reboot, and power buttons, IR receiver, battery slot for RTC,
- Power – 12V input, Li-Po battery connector
- Dimensions – N/A
Radxa Rock 2 is rather feature-packed, and does not seem optimized for cost. Tom Cubie also confirmed the board was targeting commercial applications, and this version won’t be a low cost board, but they’ll still sell it to individuals who want it. A few more pictures can be found on Radxa Rock 2 page. Availability information is not available at this stage.